Research Outpost

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Microscopics
Byond Username: Microscopics

Research Outpost

Post by Microscopics » #80076

Hey spess people, another idea of mine.

This time, I'm thinking maybe we could have one of bs12's only good features: the research outpost!

For those of you unfamilar, the research outpost is an addition to the research department in which scientists and the RD can go and do further research. The outpost itself is located on the same asteroid as the mining station, but this might not be logistically possibe on /tg/, so perhaps a new asteroid alltogether would suffice.

What exactly is the outpost?

The outpost consits of two new "sub-job" categories for research, xenoarchaeology and anomaly analyzing.

These jobs are considered "roleplay jobs" on bs12, but I think with a twist, these can be remolded into functionality, something /tg/ is excellent at. Here's what I have in mind:

> The outpost itself from bay is great. Good layout, but lots of useless shit, so some stuff can be cut out.

See this link: http://filesmelt.com/dl/ASTEROIDRESEARCH.PNG

> Here's how the job additions would work: Scientists travel to the station via an on-station shuttle to the outpost. Once there, they proceed to the expedition prep room, where they get their xenoarchaeology EVA suits, hand pickaxe (basically a graphically smaller version of a pickaxe, functionally the same), and the anomaly locator. The anomaly locator would be used to locate anomalies within the asteroid, like energy sources or metal. The scientist would then use the analyser once outside and prepped to find objects within the asteroid. Objects would range from rare objects to complete junk, randomly generated like the ore on the asteroid. However, only some of the objects would be usable and known, the other objects would have to be analyzed, and dubbed "strange object". All of the known objects, i.e. an MMI could then be sent back to r and d for deconstruction. This concludes the job of the archaeologist.

Let's say the archaeologist found a fossil, and they want to, for whatever reason, replicate it. The anomalist would then use chemicals to identify genetic codes like the creatures UI, UE, and SE, then be able to re-create it.

Let's say the arch. found a "strange object". Pretend it's a flashbang, but looks like a multitool. The job of the anomalist would be to find what the use of the object is, and make some sense of it.

To recap: I've added two? new functions to research. After all, ss13 is a research installation, right?

Let's talk about the map. Here's what I think can stay and go:

STAY:
Shuttle dock
Common area--kitchen, dining area, bookshelves
Chemistry lab. Research could use one of these in general.
Expedition prep. Place for scientists to get an exosuit and prepare to go outside.
The airlock area, obviously.
A laboratory for anomalies. Nothing too fancy, just a space where the scientists can do their thing.
The dorms. Pretty nice for a scientist to be able to store his stuff when off station.
Botany lab. Sometimes, seeds could be found in the asteroid, a competent scientist would want to grow said seeds.
Maintenance system and power system.

REMOVE:
"Artifact storage rooms"
"Exotic particle collector room"
"Isolation areas"
"Artifact storage"
Basically all of bay's retarded RP content.

So what do you guys think? I need some more ideas and some help building on this idea. The outpost is a pretty sick feature on baycode and I'd love to see it ported over, in a more functional, less RP style.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Research Outpost

Post by lumipharon » #80077

We already have the whole 'strange object' thing already though.

Find strange objects in maint, take them to the experimentor, and figure out what grief they can be used for funtion they have.
Microscopics
Byond Username: Microscopics

Post by Microscopics » #80081

Maybe some more, large, non-carryable objects that alter things. Perhaps a giant device that induces hallucinations to anyone that touches it, but it has a massive powersource or something?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #80112

...U havin a laff m8?

That's the supermatter shard, only the hallucinations are everyone, everywhere.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #80115

I like this idea. It'd be great to link it to other science departments - Toxins can make bombs to clear the 'anomalyroid', R&D can deconstruct the known objects found, Robotics can... do whatever Robotics does; and the Experi-mentor can take the 'strange objects' and do things with them.

At the moment, the job of the anomalist sounds a lot like the Experimentation Lab (i.e. 'find and make sense of strange objects').

If it's located on the same outpost as the mining asteroid, then a very good scientist could mine for minerals if they went far enough (which is a good thing!).
There are two jobs proposed in this: xenoarchaeologist, and anomalist. The former is a 'science miner', and the latter is a new experimentation scientist.

I'd suggest moving the experi-mentor to the outpost (and replacing its current location with the science shuttle, perhaps?) and merging xenoarchaeologist and anomalist into one job - a job that works on the outpost, mining for anomalies and either sending them back to R&D for deconstruction or analysing them in their lab. Finding the UI/UE/SE of fossils is a good idea: it encourages cooperation between genetics and the rest of science.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #80162

TheNightingale wrote:I like this idea. It'd be great to link it to other science departments - Toxins can make bombs to clear the 'anomalyroid', R&D can deconstruct the known objects found, Robotics can... do whatever Robotics does; and the Experi-mentor can take the 'strange objects' and do things with them.

At the moment, the job of the anomalist sounds a lot like the Experimentation Lab (i.e. 'find and make sense of strange objects').

If it's located on the same outpost as the mining asteroid, then a very good scientist could mine for minerals if they went far enough (which is a good thing!).
There are two jobs proposed in this: xenoarchaeologist, and anomalist. The former is a 'science miner', and the latter is a new experimentation scientist.

I'd suggest moving the experi-mentor to the outpost (and replacing its current location with the science shuttle, perhaps?) and merging xenoarchaeologist and anomalist into one job - a job that works on the outpost, mining for anomalies and either sending them back to R&D for deconstruction or analysing them in their lab. Finding the UI/UE/SE of fossils is a good idea: it encourages cooperation between genetics and the rest of science.
Maybe the alien dna could replace genetics? Considering genetics is perma borked
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #80291

Just give them a shuttle to the mining asteroid and add more shit
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy