Librarian is a wizard academy dropout

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Librarian is a wizard academy dropout

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #276995

Too much partying & less focus pocus got the librarian kicked out of a tuition at Hugboxwarts during the peacetime of the wizard federation, meanwhile a exchange programme with the school & a normal law college allowed the Lawyer to cease treaties with creatures from the lower hells. The laywer is really good at beer pong.
Remie Richards wrote:well, there is no written language in SS13, not even on bay I don't believe.
if you're human, you can read it, if you're an animal or a robot you get "s*me te*t li*e *his" instead.

I'm not sure how feasible localising actual text would be (Ok so, books, paper, newscasters, computer UIs, uplinks, etc) so I don't believe it can even be solved nicely
It is a problem that the librarian with both their common & mystical (partial muggle) knowledge seeks to amend by being a mystical tongue of all languages, while the complex intricacies of common language such as how to understand long dead languages is worked on behind the scenes.

The librarian therefore seeks to CONSUME knowledge with their table, the backroom table is replaced with a study desk and by providing tongues, brains books & written articles of different languages (such as the ayy surgery manual) the librarian expands their own language datum of knowledge and can scribe special books to teach others by using combination reagents of paper and some other things. Simply read the book provided by the librarian and now you understand how to speak Silicon!

> The librarian simply works at a normal rate at this task of decipering & writing down language books, but anybody else it would be extremely slow. Other people also cannot learn magic like the librarian can.

Magic books? No problem, the librarian can consume objects of power (Tomes etc, hence emagging the library computer is a GOOD thing for traitor librarians, but could also be nerfed to only give one due to blood ink shortages) at their librarians desk in a tech tree that reveals to them specific words in which to use which when combined into a particular sentence can invoke a magical effect much like the progression tree of old-cult in learning words and is also useful in cult mode for the librarian casting spells without the explicit use of runes or talismans.

Wex! Quas! Exort! (Building blocks of a spell, Quas Wex Exort would either not work or give a alternative desired result, the librarian must call out these verbs with action buttons in order to manifest the magic and then confirm that's what they want to say before belting it out in Wizardish)

Obviously this is just a example inset, and one time magic books do not count for the basis of their contents but have their own seperate branch of wizard combination verbs, which is different to ratvar & narsie magic verbs with respective combination verbs. For cost of paper & also ingredients the librarian can construct one use magic books for the crew to use.
30 ounces of smoke reagent & paper = Smoke spell book etc.
- To use certain spells from the wizard branch of the magic tree the librarian must also be dressed appropriately, if the librarian was using a robeless spell then there's no penalty.

- This magic orientation often has balancing out factors, such as blood cult magic draining blood, ratvar magic damages & turns your eyes yellow and over-use of wizard magic makes you stutter & at points magically melt your mouth shut.

- The magic books can be deconstructed by R&D for arcane research, the linguistic books also provide a early source of bioscience technology in such a round like extended and the librarian remains relevant. Finding more objects out in the ruins can suppliment what a librarian does.

Spoiler:
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Re: Librarian is a wizard academy dropout

Post by Drynwyn » #278197

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Too much partying & less focus pocus got the librarian kicked out of a tuition at Hugboxwarts during the peacetime of the wizard federation, meanwhile a exchange programme with the school & a normal law college allowed the Lawyer to cease treaties with creatures from the lower hells. The laywer is really good at beer pong.
Nothing will ever come of the rest of this but this is my headcanon now.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #278199

invoker is a faggot hero
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #278223

danno wrote:invoker is a faggot hero
Fite me mate. Ill smash you with invoker any day.

But as a mechanical concept its at-least unique enough to rip rather than having to go to the effort to make NEW spells or argue that the librarian is just a FULL wizard now. Also slows down the rate the librarian has access to magic depending on how it is scaled.

Hit action verbs in the right order to cue up your spell, R THEN HIT D OR F and confirm to cast, wait a while before you can cast a sizable spell again, attempting to do so will punish you until you get some text after time passes telling you "The magic within your veins stablises" or the negative effects go away.

- Apprentices learning spells other than mindswap & knock have to pronounce verbs too, to make it fair and only get a small selection of verbs to choose from after reading the wizards magic book.

Spoiler: