Changing the supermatter's primary function to generate gas

A place to record your ideas for the game.
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Changing the supermatter's primary function to generate gas

Post by christ110 » #264680

With the recent change of engines to the TEG, I saw this PR And had an idea.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24785

Let's say we changed the sm shard to not pulse the rad collectors (besides, the desc of the collectors state they only work off of Hawking radiation, not gamma, or alpha, or beta) and instead turn it into a sort of gas generator. Now, we can give engineering a turbine and a plasma gas to plasma sheet converter. We can tweak the turbine's values so it powers the station, but now, engineering's main focus is less generating power and more fixing the station. This also gives atmo a way to replenish their reserves of various gasses.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Changing the supermatter's primary function to generate

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #264712

I generate gas when i eat dairy
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #264772

christ110 wrote:With the recent change of engines to the TEG, I saw this PR And had an idea.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/24785

Let's say we changed the sm shard to not pulse the rad collectors (besides, the desc of the collectors state they only work off of Hawking radiation, not gamma, or alpha, or beta) and instead turn it into a sort of gas generator. Now, we can give engineering a turbine and a plasma gas to plasma sheet converter. We can tweak the turbine's values so it powers the station, but now, engineering's main focus is less generating power and more fixing the station. This also gives atmo a way to replenish their reserves of various gasses.
Hawking radiation includes a broad variety of particle types, including gamma, alpha, and beta radiation.

Saying that "they only work off of Hawking radiation, not gamma, or alpha, or beta" is like saying "Cows don't produce cheese, they only produce dairy!!!!!!11!!!!1"
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #264773

My apologies.
It's been a while since I last studied black holes.

Regardless, the idea of atmo having an array of 2 or 3 sm shard's for generating various gasses seems cool. And code-wise, we can fix it by having it not pulse the rad collectors.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #264776

Hawking radiation is mostly x-rays as I understand it.

However, supermatter being used for purposes other than radiation is something done on other codebases. Hell, I think rad collectors have been broken for supermatter for ages on baycode.
What they do for power instead on their default maps is SM crystal in a burn chamber with the gas loop through one side of a bank of TEGs, with the other side running through radiators in space, and digital valves to connect the hot loop directly to the space radiators so you can scram the reactor if it overheats.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #264804

ok no we need to port VG's TEG first, ours just isn't the same.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #265195

Rad collectors say they use Hawking Radiation, not that they use ONLY Hawking Radiation, so there's no error there.
私は完璧
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #265197

Just needs a tube back to atmos so atmos can play with the gasses the engine puts out.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.