Make Individual Traitor TC amount scale with population

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Make Individual Traitor TC amount scale with population

Post by Drynwyn » #149233

A frequent complaint about traitors is the following:

-On lowpop, and individual traitor can murderbone with impunity.

-On highpop, the number of viable strategies for an individual traitor shrink sharply, because even though there are more traitors about, traitors work individually, not as a team, and you simply don't have the tools to deal with a wide variety of possible threats- so the only successful strategies are those that minimize the number of threats you have to contend with- ie, stealth traitor.

A good way to rectify this, in my opinion, is to adjust the number of TC's each traitor gets based on the number of players. A good formula in my opinion would be 10 TC + 1/4 the total number of players. So in a 40 player round, you would get the standard 20 tc's, which would be knocked down to 15 TC if there were only 20 players online. Meanwhile, ultra-high-pop rounds would give traitors more gear, giving them a better chance of dealing with the variety of threats they are likely to face.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: Make Individual Traitor TC amount scale with population

Post by InsaneHyena » #149236

Murderbone isn't a TC problem. You can murderbone with a water spray bottle, as Memily Ranger proved again and again. Reducing TCs will simply change the tools of murderboning - the event itself will never go away for multiple reasons. No real opinion about giving more TCs to people when there're more people online. Majority of tators today somehow make do with the amount they have.
Bring back papercult.

Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #149257

I do get what the problem you are referring to is.
There's 2 modes, conversion and non-conversion.
Non conversion modes are Wizard, Nuke Ops, Blob and Traitor, since changeling and malf are gone.
Wizard doesn't scale, but can become a conversion mode through the use of multiverse, cult constructs, and other artifacts.
Nuke ops scale telecrystals to size
Blob can be conversion with Blobbernauts, and scales depending on crew size.
Traitors have no conversion elements, and although they scale in number based off of the crew, they don't communicate and some of these "actors" will not act traitorously. This is why for a while there were rounds where nothing happened.
I think the effective thing to do would be after a specific size/security size, similar to how Rev works, they would get a free syndicate encryption headset key.
If it's still a problem, Drynwyn's proposal could work, but items that cost 11 are built with the fact you can't have 2, so scaling TCs would change this
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #149291

Would also screw with syndiebundles, which are kinda designed around them being the only thing a traitor gets. Would have to snowflakecode the bundle to have a variable cost or something.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #149313

Screemonster wrote:Would also screw with syndiebundles, which are kinda designed around them being the only thing a traitor gets. Would have to snowflakecode the bundle to have a variable cost or something.
I don't think there's anything wrong balance wise if your syndiebundle comes with an encryption key
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #149315

Helios wrote:
Screemonster wrote:Would also screw with syndiebundles, which are kinda designed around them being the only thing a traitor gets. Would have to snowflakecode the bundle to have a variable cost or something.
I don't think there's anything wrong balance wise if your syndiebundle comes with an encryption key
Pretty sure he was referencing scaling, not the free key.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.