Mind-Transferred Changelings: To Valid or not to Valid?

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Mind-Transferred Changelings: To Valid or not to Valid?

Post by Anonmare » #171992

With the existence of mind transference potions, we should consider the status of xenobio-made Changelings and how we treat them. Are they valid antagonists or are they not? My gut says no but I want to hear everyone else's opinion and hope for an administration ruling to remove any sense of ambiguity.

The reason I say no, they aren't antagonists, is due to the precedent of other xenobio-made mobs. For example, a xenobio-made golem told "You are free so go do whatever" isn't an antagonist and is still made to follow the same rules as a loyal crew member and this also applies to the non-golems (like the magicarp and such). We have rules that say not to kill the sentient bear for being a bear and I don't see why the inverse should be different.

We should also consider whether or not an Asimov AI should be obligated to terminate these Changelings as they are with true Changelings.
Last edited by Anonmare on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Mind-Transferred Changelings: To Valid or not to Valid?

Post by TheNightingale » #171993

An Asimov AI isn't obligated to terminate changelings. They can if they want to, and they should if the changeling is harmful, but a nonharmful changeling (one who preys on monkeys, for example) doesn't have to be purged with fire.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #171994

They're definitely not antag, and I would say security is fully justified in terminating the ling if they think there's any chance it might go rogue. Lings are dangerous things, and if you decide to make yourself one and let other people know, you have no right to complain when sec intervenes.

That being said, I don't think the AI really has any implicit obligation to kill changelings, and it's up to them and the circumstances around them for what they want to do
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #172118

If there are normal hostile changelings around at the same time I think the AI might be forced to take out known grown lings simply because they are so plastic it might not be able to tell them apart side effect of being able to change your identity at will you don't have a secure one any ling could steal your genomes and look the same.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #172547

I'd say that security shouldn't be expected to differentiate between xenobio lings and actual lings unless the scientist checked in with them first, and that the random crewpeople shouldn't get in trouble for killing the everloving fuck out of any stupid enough to show blatant ling powers in public
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #172976

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I'd say that security shouldn't be expected to differentiate between xenobio lings and actual lings unless the scientist checked in with them first, and that the random crewpeople shouldn't get in trouble for killing the everloving fuck out of any stupid enough to show blatant ling powers in public
This. If you're going to ling yourself, you lose all protection. The crew gets to treat you as a dangerous antagonist even though you yourself do not get to antag.
Complaining about this is as dumb as complaining that sec killed you when you donned a syndie hardsuit and carried in full view an esword.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #173137

palpatine213 wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I'd say that security shouldn't be expected to differentiate between xenobio lings and actual lings unless the scientist checked in with them first, and that the random crewpeople shouldn't get in trouble for killing the everloving fuck out of any stupid enough to show blatant ling powers in public
This. If you're going to ling yourself, you lose all protection. The crew gets to treat you as a dangerous antagonist even though you yourself do not get to antag.
Complaining about this is as dumb as complaining that sec killed you when you donned a syndie hardsuit and carried in full view an esword.
It depends on context, though. If you ling yourself, pop an armblade in the bar, and get shot and gibbed, your fault.

If you ling yourself, tell the Captain and HoS, they're cool with it, you change your hair in the bar, and the chef stabs you to death and drags you into the gibber while sec screams at him to stop, probably his fault.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #173140

Drynwyn wrote:
palpatine213 wrote:
It depends on context, though. If you ling yourself, pop an armblade in the bar, and get shot and gibbed, your fault.

If you ling yourself, tell the Captain and HoS, they're cool with it, you change your hair in the bar, and the chef stabs you to death and drags you into the gibber while sec screams at him to stop, probably his fault.
So apply common sense liberally. Gotcha.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #173146

Common sense.

Isn't.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: