Peanut jokes aren't funny

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Peanut jokes aren't funny

Post by Vekter » #695233

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?p=695231

If that title sucks, it's your fault for not making the thread first.

Anyway this is the most valid a note has ever been, it's so easy to just not make rape jokes. Just don't do it. There literally never funny.

Also, b00t is misunderstanding how the word filter works. There's two word filters:

1) Hard filter - You cannot say the word at all, the game won't let you. This is for things that have zero IC justification to use, ie netspeak, things like "validhunting", etc. If there's no reason we wouldn't bonk you for OOC in IC for saying it, it's hard filtered.
2) Soft filter - The game warns you when saying it, telling you "This term is commonly considered OOC, only use it with valid IC context." and asking you if you still want to say it. This is for things like ERP, where normal use of it would constitute an OOC in IC violation but there are rare IC justifications for it, like when you're referring to an Emergency Response Party.

"Rape" as a word doesn't really fit in either. There's IC justifications to say the word and they're not rare enough that a soft filter would really be necessary. It's not something that's explicitly OOC. We could possibly soft filter it like we do slurs, but I think that opens up a can of worms with other potentially touchy words that aren't explicitly harmful but can be used in harmful ways.

It's way easier to just let people say it and bonk anyone who's making jokes about it.
Last edited by Vekter on Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Re: Peanut jokes aren't funny

Post by dendydoom » #695647

sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:36 am
b00t wrote:It is clear that there is a reason why we don't hard filter rape is because we allow it to exist for these more lighthearted encounters. That as the admin himself called it a "joke line" it would not fall under the purview of rule 8.
If you wanted it explicit you're not getting that because saying "it's just a joke!" in the appeal doesn't work, you have to argue based on the rules.
They had a better chance arguing it wasn't against rule 8 or rule 1 than saying "come onnn I was just messin'!" so that's what they did. Didn't work cause there's precedent for this kinda thing they didn't know about.
i'd argue it still falls under rule 8. it does not strictly only include things that are said to be sexually gratifying, it includes "creepy" and "things that could be construed as sexual by unwilling participants"
8. Erotic/creepy stuff is not allowed.
No form of erotic roleplay is allowed on the servers, including things that could be construed as sexual by unwilling participants.
being accused of rape while trying to arrest someone is something i would construe as sexual/creepy as an unwilling participant.

it's not an original or witty joke to be making in the first place and relies purely on making other people uncomfortable in order to get a laugh. no one laughed, just felt uncomfortable. thus, mission failed on their part. they should put more effort in.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #695649

sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:58 am
Archie700 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:38 am B00t turning out to be an unironically terrible person is basically the most unsurprising twist of 2023.
Sorry what? Could you qualify how he's "turned out to be a terrible person"?

He said "RAPE!" in a spaceman videogame, he didn't realize that wasn't allowed so he appealed it, it got upheld. What part of this makes him a terrible person?
Screaming "RAPE" when being arrested by security for no reason other than "lol funny" is a tasteless act in itself. Doesn't make him a horrible person by that alone.

Defending him actions by using rules when he didn't know about precedents for randomly doesn't make him a horrible person.

The "horrible" comes from the fact that he fails to acknowledge that his "joke" was offensive even when multiple people have already written in the thread about how it's bad and continued arguing that it was only the admins and their use of the rules keeping him down even after precedent was explained to him until MSO set him straight that even he would note him over a shitty joke like this.

The "joke" wasn't even done with an ounce of nuance, it was literally "SCREAM RAPE FUNNI", the type of joke only edgy teenagers or assholes would make and defend. It was so blatantly creepy (You don't just shout RAPE when police come to arrest you for being a nuisance) and uncomfortable and yet he brushes it aside in favour of saying that the admins were just using the rule to prevent him from saying "rape" when it wasn't hard filtered.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #695677

Archie700 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:17 am The "horrible" comes from the fact that he fails to acknowledge that his "joke" was offensive even when multiple people have already written in the thread about how it's bad and continued arguing that it was only the admins and their use of the rules keeping him down even after precedent was explained to him until MSO set him straight that even he would note him over a shitty joke like this.
How does being stubborn make him a "HoRrIbLe PeRsoN"?
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #695684

Archie700 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:17 am The "horrible" comes from the fact that he fails to acknowledge that his "joke" was offensive even when multiple people have already written in the thread about how it's bad and continued arguing that it was only the admins and their use of the rules keeping him down even after precedent was explained to him until MSO set him straight that even he would note him over a shitty joke like this.
If it makes you feel any better I will grant that people could've felt uncomfortable from me shouting rape there. That wasn't my intention but its clear that it happened. However I don't think that we should be noting everyone who makes a joke that someone hears and isn't cool with.
Now it is also clear that people who heard the joke didn't feel uncomfortable, as Paris said they were "perfectly fine" with my comment. Was it a childish thing to do? Sure but I also saw a clown throw a pie to disarm an armed gunman like a week back so its clear that this isn't high-brow humor only zone.
My point has been, and I still think this because no one has argued against it, that if we have a word that we are treating as hard filtered but we're just gonna leave it filtered so we can slap anyone who reaches for the cookierape-jar as some weird trap(except ofcourse when the admins are ok with it ;)) then that is an argument that I just disagree with.

Also if anyone sees me in-game doing/saying something that is making you uncomfortable feel free to shoot me a dm on the forums, message me on discord or through byond itself. I'll hear you out.

Bonus meme: If you know of the list of words that ping whoever is adminning feel free to shoot those my way.
Image Image
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #695686

Boot wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:11 am (except ofcourse when the admins are ok with it ;))
Do raise complaints directly if you have proof that this has happened.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #695687

Common sense would dictate when the people running a place tell you to knock it off, you should probably just knock it off without generating a lot of drama concerning it. Considering rule 1 is pretty much a catch-all I don't get what kind of hill you're trying to die on, here.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #695698

Boot wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:11 am
If it makes you feel any better I will grant that people could've felt uncomfortable from me shouting rape there. That wasn't my intention but its clear that it happened. However I don't think that we should be noting everyone who makes a joke that someone hears and isn't cool with.
Now it is also clear that people who heard the joke didn't feel uncomfortable, as Paris said they were "perfectly fine" with my comment. Was it a childish thing to do? Sure but I also saw a clown throw a pie to disarm an armed gunman like a week back so its clear that this isn't high-brow humor only zone.
My point has been, and I still think this because no one has argued against it, that if we have a word that we are treating as hard filtered but we're just gonna leave it filtered so we can slap anyone who reaches for the cookierape-jar as some weird trap(except ofcourse when the admins are ok with it ;)) then that is an argument that I just disagree with.

Also if anyone sees me in-game doing/saying something that is making you uncomfortable feel free to shoot me a dm on the forums, message me on discord or through byond itself. I'll hear you out.

Bonus meme: If you know of the list of words that ping whoever is adminning feel free to shoot those my way.
i love paris but hes fucking 14 dude
(paris do NOT spam me on discord i know you read this)
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #695700

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:02 pm

i love paris but hes fucking 14 dude
(paris do NOT spam me on discord i know you read this)
He's fucking 14 dudes what a chad
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #695703

BlueMemesauce wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:05 am because its more weird to bring up in a round that your ss13 character was raped or raped someone than it is to scream rape when a security officer is arresting you
I'm saying a character saying something like "I didn't have a dad growing up my mother was raped." In the context of an RP conversation that had build up to the topic of family background and trauma (and not just randomly announced unprompted.) Is far more justified than you, a player character accusing another player character of raping you.

I also specifically stated we shouldn't discuss it in the context of it being done to and especially not by the player characters.
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #695720

Lacran wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:14 pm
BlueMemesauce wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:05 am because its more weird to bring up in a round that your ss13 character was raped or raped someone than it is to scream rape when a security officer is arresting you
I'm saying a character saying something like "I didn't have a dad growing up my mother was raped." In the context of an RP conversation that had build up to the topic of family background and trauma (and not just randomly announced unprompted.) Is far more justified than you, a player character accusing another player character of raping you.

I also specifically stated we shouldn't discuss it in the context of it being done to and especially not by the player characters.
I'm confused because that's literally what you just said "could be fine":
Lacran wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:33 am Mentioning surviving it, or being concieved from it, or someone from your backstory going to jail due to rape. Provided said discussion was warranted and done in a mature and sensitive manner could be fine. I don't see boot ever doing this.
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #695722

BlueMemesauce wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:13 pm
Lacran wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:14 pm

I'm confused because that's literally what you just said "could be fine":
Lacran wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:33 am Mentioning surviving it, or being concieved from it, or someone from your backstory going to jail due to rape. Provided said discussion was warranted and done in a mature and sensitive manner could be fine. I don't see boot ever doing this.
I also stated "never between player characters" which I understand was poorly worded. I meant "We shouldn't discuss it in the context of it being done to and especially not by the player characters."

I shouldn't of mentioned surviving it, that was mb. This sounds like a backpedal.

I think talking about surviving it is less bad, but it wouldn't be appropriate to roleplay that trauma out as it very likely won't be received well by the majority of the player base and is going to carry extreme baggage for some which just doesn't fit the tone if an average MRP round.

I was more saying that's it's possible to cover it in a third party context as a part of a player's backstory, I hope my previous example clarified it.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #695733

Fair enough, I still think your joke is offensive and shitty.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Thranos
Byond Username: Thranos

Post by Thranos » #695924

the sole time I've ever seen a "funny rape joke" was the "Grapist" skit from WKUK, and the whole basis of the joke in there was a straight man going "this is bad"