Post by oranges » #285877

Bottom post of the previous page:

DrPillzRedux wrote:
Grazyn wrote:it's a serious disease
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Re: 2k17 /pol/

Post by ColonicAcid » #285890

Grazyn wrote: There is no way any of those combination can directly affect my life so I don't care about how they want to live, I also think that people are disingenuous when they say "B-but this bullshit harms actual trans folk who suffer and need help!" given how they go out of their way to be as shitty as possible towards trans people (eg. the "attack helicopter" copypasta on leddit which started as a way to make fun of tumblr otherkin but ended up being posted every time someone mentioned trans).

I guess it's a win-win, you constantly treat people like shit and disparage them, they go into depression and kill themselves, and then you can say "See it's a serious disease, it's making them suffer!"

Ding ding ding.

Look an actual reasonable human being why can't some of you atleast be half this reasonable. Also one thing I've noticed (here especially) is if you somehow run out of things to insult someone you have the last word by insulting them and misgendering them. You're like a bunch of fucking Boston fans "b-but m-my 17 trophies :((((".
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #285892

Let's be honest here, the world would be a much less complicated place if we just purged it of the non-cis white :honk:
Last edited by Malkevin on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #285905

Colonic acid you seem both mad and also bad at sports :)
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #285989

SAC calling another person mad.

Now that's what I call music.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #286005

Sounds like you got a little too personally invested in the /pol/ thread and had a spergfit and shit up the joint deliberately trying to antagonize me so I would ad hominem you so you can day "see u have no argument I am right u ad hominemed!!!!!!"

Luckily for the sake of discourse I am a wily and clever opponent and saw through your paltry attempts. Maybe you should get over yourself kiddo. Go light a candle to your Cait Jenner altar and meditate on your failure.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286011

Grazyn wrote:they go into depression and kill themselves, and then you can say "See it's a serious disease, it's making them suffer!"
You admitted to being untrained on the subject but felt a need to speak a lot on the subject and managed to be almost entirely wrong. The depression doesn't always or even mostly come from "people made fun of me because I'm different." The depression comes from the dysphoria itself. It shares a similar nature with other disorders like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_inte ... y_disorder . Your brain responds to the body in a manner inconsistent with ownership. You feel "wrong" or "ugly." This is why it became vogue to treat dysphoria with HRT and body modification. The thought was and is that if you can make the body match the form the brain thinks it wants, the wrongness feelings will go away. The problem remains that you're still trying to fix the part that isn't broken. The patient, even with a modified body and adjusted hormones, will still feel the same feelings of "wrongness" and "ugliness" that they felt before but the mind will justify them in a different way. This is what causes the depression, the general dissatisfaction with one's form no matter how it is adjusted and the hopelessness that follows the inability to escape that dissatisfaction.

We don't treat schizophrenia by teaching the patient to have a rationalized discussion with the delusions in their mind telling them to hurt people or that they should kill themselves. We don't treat Cotard's by killing the patient (though they eventually do that on their own without severe intervention.) We don't (usually, dammit Canada) treat BIID by removing arms and legs.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #286014

Grazyn wrote:they go into depression and kill themselves, and then you can say "See it's a serious disease, it's making them suffer!"
Well yeah, if they disproportionately kill themselves even in the absence of social pressures something is clearly wrong. A physical abnormality that makes life difficult for physical or psychological reasons is kind of the definition of a disease.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #286025

cedarbridge wrote:
You admitted to being untrained on the subject but felt a need to speak a lot on the subject and managed to be almost entirely wrong. The depression doesn't always or even mostly come from "people made fun of me because I'm different." The depression comes from the dysphoria itself. It shares a similar nature with other disorders like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_inte ... y_disorder . Your brain responds to the body in a manner inconsistent with ownership. You feel "wrong" or "ugly." This is why it became vogue to treat dysphoria with HRT and body modification. The thought was and is that if you can make the body match the form the brain thinks it wants, the wrongness feelings will go away. The problem remains that you're still trying to fix the part that isn't broken. The patient, even with a modified body and adjusted hormones, will still feel the same feelings of "wrongness" and "ugliness" that they felt before but the mind will justify them in a different way. This is what causes the depression, the general dissatisfaction with one's form no matter how it is adjusted and the hopelessness that follows the inability to escape that dissatisfaction.

We don't treat schizophrenia by teaching the patient to have a rationalized discussion with the delusions in their mind telling them to hurt people or that they should kill themselves. We don't treat Cotard's by killing the patient (though they eventually do that on their own without severe intervention.) We don't (usually, dammit Canada) treat BIID by removing arms and legs.
It's all really interesting but my point is that these guys who pretend to care so much about trans mental health also take every chance they get to call them degenerates and be generally shitty in every way possible towards them. I don't think that's how you treat them
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #286029

I only see it done to ones that force their view of the world on everyone else around them.

Waah I'm offended stop using that word and that word.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286033

Grazyn wrote:It's all really interesting but my point is that these guys who pretend to care so much about trans mental health also take every chance they get to call them degenerates and be generally shitty in every way possible towards them. I don't think that's how you treat them
That depends on who is being called a degenerate and for what reason. I've called many people who announce that they are "trans" as being complete degenerates. They're not bad people for having a mental disorder. They're bad people for attempting to mainstream and normalize a mental disorder. I have no patience for people who normalize mental illness. If somebody has an illness it should be treated and their condition resolved to the furthest extent that medical and psychological practice will allow. The modern trend is becoming to celebrate that one has a mental illness and to advocate for the treatments that enhance the visibility of the problem without actually treating the disorder. Boards like /lgbt/ and large sections of Tumblr are the worst for shit like that. The amount of pressure they put on confused and vulnerable people is staggering. I get the same sick feeling reading somebody pressuring a young man or woman into the wpath system that I get seeing these quack medical forums where people taking medications give each other advice on how to best alter their prescriptions without consulting their doctor first.

Untrained people should not be giving psychological advice in the same way that untrained people shouldn't be performing liver transplants. Instead we have a culture where mental illness is something that everyone has an opinion on and where the opinions of people with those disorders is taken as gospel by non-sufferers.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #286038

I think your'e straight up wrong, cedar.

Many people do report dramatically better QoL after they undergo transitional surgery or start passing as their preferred gender. This isn't universally the case, to be sure, but in a large number of cases, it is. I don't have time to do a full dive into the scientific literature right now, as finals are soon for me, but I believe you don't have sufficient evidence to support what you're saying as truth. (I'm also not saying that the other side for-sure does, either- I'm saying you're taking what is currently a topic without solid scientific consensus and presenting one hypothesis as the unvarnished truth.)
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #286042

Is anyone here calling them degenerates? Maybe Crag a little but it's pretty obvious that he's half shitposting.
Drynwyn wrote:I think your'e straight up wrong, cedar.

Many people do report dramatically better QoL after they undergo transitional surgery or start passing as their preferred gender. This isn't universally the case, to be sure, but in a large number of cases, it is. I don't have time to do a full dive into the scientific literature right now, as finals are soon for me, but I believe you don't have sufficient evidence to support what you're saying as truth. (I'm also not saying that the other side for-sure does, either- I'm saying you're taking what is currently a topic without solid scientific consensus and presenting one hypothesis as the unvarnished truth.)
I don't think anyone here disagrees that transitional surgery is the best option available to them. The problem is that it's extremely dangerous, irreversible, and generally far from ideal. It only alleviates the problem somewhat too.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #286046

If youre on the internet you are a degenerate, no exceptions.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286050

"You're straight up wrong." "I have no citations for why you're wrong but you are." "I don't have evidence that a counterfactual position is correct."
A+ rhetoric. I'm on the edge of my seat here.

"Dramatically better QoL" and "freedom from illness" are entirely different things. Johns Hopkins University pioneered reassignment treatments in the US. There's a reason that Johns Hopkins doesn't do reassignment surgery anymore. Those reasons are the ones I outlined before. Patients undergoing the operations required to "transition" reported high rates of satisfaction with the result and might even report high levels of increased social esteem. What they don't report is a reduction in the symptoms of the illness. You literally do not fix a mental illness by changing everything except the brain. You do not treat a mental illness by treating it as normal and pretending it wasn't an illness all along.
Luke Cox wrote:I don't think anyone here disagrees that transitional surgery is the best option available to them. The problem is that it's extremely dangerous, irreversible, and generally far from ideal. It only alleviates the problem somewhat too.
I definitely disagree that transitional surgery is the "best" option or even a "good" option in 99% of cases. In fact, there is a significant mortal effect on patients post op suicide rate. Like I said earlier. Many cases, the patient will "transition" and then realize they don't actually feel right that way either and then just end it to escape the confusion after all of the expenses and hormone cocktails. Dysphoria is also very comorbid with alcoholism and drug abuse so those tend to go hand in hand quite a bit in the downward freefall.
Last edited by cedarbridge on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #286051

So... dem mooslims yeah?

Another one of the smelly beardy bastards tried to go on a stabbing spree in london today.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286052

Malkevin wrote:So... dem mooslims yeah?

Another one of the smelly beardy bastards tried to go on a stabbing spree in london today.
Clearly the knife bins just aren't keeping up.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #286053

Did he stab any transgenders?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #286058

Just a part of life in a big city, right?
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #286062

Better get used to it
I heard London now has a special task force to make sure you don't get to say islamophobic things after another every day city life terror attack
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #286063

cedarbridge wrote: "You're straight up wrong." "I have no citations for why you're wrong but you are." "I don't have evidence that a counterfactual position is correct."
bruh shit outta here nigga you can't talk about giving sources when all you've done is link two wikipedia pages.

for real
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #286070

cedarbridge wrote:

"You're straight up wrong." "I have no citations for why you're wrong but you are." "I don't have evidence that a counterfactual position is correct."
"I think you're straight up wrong". Those first two words are important- I'm evincing an opinion, not claiming that I have conclusive evidence. All either of us has done is spew anecdotal evidence at each other, neither of us has conclusively demonstrated anything. To clarify: I don't have evidence for my position, you don't have evidence for yours.

I'm busy with academics right now, so I don't have time to go on a literature dive, but once finals wrap up in a couple weeks I will return with citations.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #286102

cedarbridge wrote: "You're straight up wrong." "I have no citations for why you're wrong but you are." "I don't have evidence that a counterfactual position is correct."
Except most of what you said was unsourced with no citations either, so don't throw stones in a glass house
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #286103

Citing things is fucking retarded in this current political climate because if someone disagrees with you they're just going to call your citation nazi falsehoods or globalist Islamic deception. Trying to one up each other over who can cite the most studies is just dumb you're better off just calling each other faggots until one of you gets mad and finds something else to do.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286114

oranges wrote:
Except most of what you said was unsourced with no citations either, so don't throw stones in a glass house
I mean, I could cite my undergrad transcripts but who wants that shit.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-mchug ... 1402615120 Here's the doctor I was referencing but I couldn't pull his article on my phone.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #286115

An op-ed by a single doctor =/= a scientific source.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #286123

Drynwyn wrote:An op-ed by a single doctor =/= a scientific source.
You'd move the goalposts no matter where it was put. The fact that you just call him "a single doctor" like he's some nobody means you should stop.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #286128

cedarbridge wrote:
Drynwyn wrote:An op-ed by a single doctor =/= a scientific source.
You'd move the goalposts no matter where it was put. The fact that you just call him "a single doctor" like he's some nobody means you should stop.
Okay, no. Saying one op-ed by one person- whatever degree that person may have- is not a scientific source is not moving the goalposts. A scientific consensus would be represented by a review article or oft-cited primary source article published in a respectable journal. There's your goalposts for establish a scientific fact about psychology.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #286145

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Citing things is fucking retarded in this current political climate because if someone disagrees with you they're just going to call your citation nazi falsehoods or globalist Islamic deception. Trying to one up each other over who can cite the most studies is just dumb you're better off just calling each other faggots until one of you gets mad and finds something else to do.
this is nazi falsehood
K-64
Byond Username: K-64

Post by K-64 » #286194

I thought citations were to throw at people when you interpret what they say wrongly and they support the opposition's side when you spend more than 2 seconds reading it?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #286205

Who is that
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #286207

K-64 wrote:I thought citations were to throw at people when you interpret what they say wrongly and they support the opposition's side when you spend more than 2 seconds reading it?
it's a well known fact that anything but the abstract at the start and the discussion at the end is just random gibberish that people put in as filler.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #286316

periodic reminder the DSM is basically wikipedia for psychologists i.e. assembling the thing is a giant clusterfuck of arguments and controversy, and what constitutes a "mental disorder" is more a reflection of who won the argument at the point in time of the revision. example: up until 1973 homosexuality was listed (citation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4695779/)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
XSI

Post by XSI » #286362

I mean
If you count "mental disorder" as anything that isn't "normal", then yeah, homosexuality is a disorder. But then so is watching anime and shitposting online instead of doing society-approved stuff (That are not disorders) like going to the movies(That you don't like and will regret paying for) and drinking yourself into a coma every week
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #286449

Only a sith deals in absolutes
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #286472

Does anyone disagree with the following definition of a mental disorder: Any neurological or behavioral abnormality that causes a decrease in quality of life for its sufferer, for non-societal reasons?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #286481

Luke Cox wrote:Does anyone disagree with the following definition of a mental disorder: Any neurological or behavioral abnormality that causes a decrease in quality of life for its sufferer, for non-societal reasons?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #286501

You're not answering the question because you know that if you say yes, gender dysphoria fits it to T and if you say no, you're in opposition to all of modern medicine
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #286516

Who is arguing that gender dysphoria isn't a mental disorder?
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #286609

No diagnosis given by a doctor/psychologist could be 100% accurate about something as subjective of how someone feels like they are another gender or are suffering depersonalisation to be another gender (like the people who get in cribs and act like babies) outward physically the medical professional could say one hundred percent that you are either male/female or both (in that you have both forms of working genetalia) neither ( born without genitals) or any other kind of disfigurement.

Im not pretty sure a doctor could MRI scan you on the spot or take your claim utmost seriously (given harm about x-ray etc. and nessecity to spend time on more critical patients depending on circumstances) The difference is that these people self-diagnose themselves open to poor logic & reasoning than a medical professional's list of experience and training (and even they can be wrong but are otherwise reliable to be close enough to the issue to investigate further).

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #287110

mate that's tumblr
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #287112

Any self-respecting Brit would use a longbow
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #287128

The English use a billhook
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #287203

CosmicScientist wrote:I know this is digg tripe but I want this to be real
Yes, please.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #288517

The republicans repealed Obamacare the absolute madmen

*Read: Got the bill through the house
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #288549

What's the difference between the new bill and the previous one that the GOP rejected?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #288552

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/201 ... ummary.pdf

The first bill didn't let insurers charge more for pre-existing conditions, but they could charge people with a lapse in coverage 30% more when they got insurance again.

The amendment lets states get a waiver for this pre-existing condition requirement "conditional upon the State operating a risk mitigation
program or participating in a Federal Invisible Risk Sharing Program (FIRSP)."
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #288553

I'm laughing at this hypocrisy, they hated Obamacare, but not so much that they want the new restrictions to apply to themselves
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #288563

Cosmicscientist, the EU duels would probably make watchable anime.

Spoiler:
XSI

Post by XSI » #288584

Of course, the laws don't apply to them
They make laws for you, plebian. Now sit down and take it
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #288646

Napoleon being short (while actually being a propaganda lie) is a meme that has persisted to this day.

Memes, meme warfare never changes.

Spoiler: