MRP let ninjas fucking kill people and what not

TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

MRP let ninjas fucking kill people and what not

Post by TheRex9001 » #728117

Make ninjas restriction exempt, these guys are heavy weights who drop in the middle of the round to fuck up doors, hack borgs and blow up departments, so why can't we let them just kill whoever? Ninjas do not have any murder objectives normally so do we just expect them to try to do all these objectives non-lethally? It seems silly to me. Let ninjas kill people, with katanas and what not.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Re: MRP let ninjas fucking kill people and what not

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #728118

another day, another attempt to make an antag unrestricted on MRP

WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #728119

Ninjas are too good at killing people with absolutely no counterplay to be given a license to murderbone. If you wanna get in fights with your ninja sword, go do your objectives to piss everyone off so they start hunting you.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #728120

Did you really make a policy thread to let ninjas bone during an ongoing round of a ninja boning?
feaster
Byond Username: Roadto3k

Post by feaster » #728122

No please
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #728124

TheRex9001 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:29 am Ninjas do not have any murder objectives normally so do we just expect them to try to do all these objectives non-lethally?
Am I wrong or is this a critically large misunderstanding of MRP antag policy?
You don't need a kill objective to kill people, right? You need a reason backed up by IC reasoning or your objectives.

Because Ninjas have like 7 objectives they have an enormous license to kill people because nobody is going to want them to do any of those things and they can kill people who object to this.

Why would we want to change that to "automatically kill everyone you meet"? Ninjas are task-focused.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #728127

the issue is that ninjas cause so much destruction universally that they should be valid on sight. the fact that they can drop a maxcap at any point in time should allow ANYONE to be able to valid them on the spot. or at least that’s how it should be imo. what really happens is people just stay Slightly Away from them and aren’t scared of them at all. it’s so unbelievably lame and uninteresting. i feel pure dread when im on lrp and i hear that there’s a ninja around. when i hear that there’s a ninja on mrp i literally change nothing about the way i play and that’s stupid as fuck

also they literally produce MURDER BORGS. why are they RESTRICTED if they turn borgs into MURDER BORGS???
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #728128

Oh boy if you thought making changelings unrestricted was a bad idea have I got news for you. Would you really want what is essentially one of the most elusive midround Antags a pass to murder everyone? They already get a free pass to kill validhunters and any sec chasing them.
DaBoss
Byond Username: VICIOUS O REILLY

Post by DaBoss » #728131

Is this a real problem? I find it difficult to believe that admins are stepping in to stop ninjas killing people.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #728132

DaBoss wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:15 pm Is this a real problem? I find it difficult to believe that admins are stepping in to stop ninjas killing people.
They arent, thats the point of the thread. If admins dont enforce it as restricted why do we keep it restricted?
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #728133

Jacquerel wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:14 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:29 am Ninjas do not have any murder objectives normally so do we just expect them to try to do all these objectives non-lethally?
Am I wrong or is this a critically large misunderstanding of MRP antag policy?
You don't need a kill objective to kill people, right? You need a reason backed up by IC reasoning or your objectives.

Because Ninjas have like 7 objectives they have an enormous license to kill people because nobody is going to want them to do any of those things and they can kill people who object to this.

Why would we want to change that to "automatically kill everyone you meet"? Ninjas are task-focused.
Restriction exempt isnt force antags to "automatically kill everyone you meet"? It allows them to do that yes, but it is usually to the detriment of themselves. Ninjas also produce murderborgs which they are just supposed to uhh, help ninjas do their objectives that only ninjas can do? I think our current policy around ninjas is just weird because all the arguements against ninja can be applied to say nuke ops.

Nuke ops have 1 objective which gives them an enormous license to kill people because nobody is going to want them to do that thing and they can kill people who object to this. So should we make nuke ops restriction applied? Nuke ops are also a task-focused heavy midround/roundstart.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #728135

Nuke Ops are openly at war with the station and are expected to kill everyone they meet on sight.
Ninjas are ninjas- you're not even supposed to know they are there. A ninja walking openly onto the station and killing everyone in sight isn't roleplaying as a Ninja, but this would be the result of unrestricting it (as seen with Changelings and such).
Being restricted still already allows them to kill people as required, restricted antags are not pacifists.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #728138

Jacquerel wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:58 pm Nuke Ops are openly at war with the station and are expected to kill everyone they meet on sight.
Ninjas are ninjas- you're not even supposed to know they are there. A ninja walking openly onto the station and killing everyone in sight isn't roleplaying as a Ninja, but this would be the result of unrestricting it (as seen with Changelings and such).
Being restricted still already allows them to kill people as required, restricted antags are not pacifists.
Neither are unrestricted antags murderers salivating at the chance to kill more. I think Ninjas and Changelings are extremely different, you might have some purchase with the ninjas are ninjas point but why can they make murder cyborgs then? Its like the single loudest "there are ninjas" thing ever and doesn't feel very in flavour with roleplaying as a Ninja, no?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #728139

You don't think sabotaging equipment and having that cause chaos is a ninja thing to do?
Creating a horrible workplace incident is exactly what a corporate ninja is for.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #728140

Jacquerel wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:16 pm You don't think sabotaging equipment and having that cause chaos is a ninja thing to do?
Creating a horrible workplace incident is exactly what a corporate ninja is for.
I never said those things. I just dont think a "workplace incident" is a giant murder robot running around with a sticky note saying "hey there is a ninja here" feels very "corporate ninja". This just feels tangential at best. Im just gonna avoid further responses like this because it feels like we are being bogged down far away from what the point is.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #728143

Jacquerel wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:58 pm Ninjas are ninjas- you're not even supposed to know they are there. A ninja walking openly onto the station and killing everyone in sight isn't roleplaying as a Ninja, but this would be the result of unrestricting it (as seen with Changelings and such).
I agree. Ideally we could code a feature that makes you double-greentext if you don't leave any evidence for your deeds but that seems complicated.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #728144

My perspective is and remains that there is no need to unrestrict ninjas to allow them to kill people because they can already do that, and doing so will simply result in less interesting play.
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #728145

Ninjas should not be unrestricted.

They can become unrestricted in how the crew treats them due to their actions. Many of the things ninjas do are annoying and destructive - leading towards this.

They have a lot of escapes and tools at their disposal which play into them being able to annoy the crew and destroy shit without getting caught already.

They are a midround, not a roundstart or latejoin, and should not be shifted to displace those as the major unrestricted threats on MRP more than other antags (with defined win conditions, conversion for dead/ghosts, and built-in global threats like blob, nukies, dragon, and malf) already do.

Do not unrestrict ninjas on MRP.
feedback appreciated here <3
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #728147

Higgin wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:36 pm They are a midround, not a roundstart or latejoin, and should not be shifted to displace those as the major unrestricted threats on MRP more than other antags (with defined win conditions, conversion for dead/ghosts, and built-in global threats like blob, nukies, dragon, and malf) already do.
(all these mentioned antagonists are midrounds, and in the same threat category as Ninjas)
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #728149

TheRex9001 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm
Higgin wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:36 pm They are a midround, not a roundstart or latejoin, and should not be shifted to displace those as the major unrestricted threats on MRP more than other antags (with defined win conditions, conversion for dead/ghosts, and built-in global threats like blob, nukies, dragon, and malf) already do.
(all these mentioned antagonists are midrounds, and in the same threat category as Ninjas)
yep. two of them are also roundstarts, and they all have the other things I mentioned that make them suck less ass to deal with than a ninja who decides to just go sickle mould with funny jaunt, stun, invis., etc.

making ninja unrestricted would be the equivalent of making them like wiz, in effect, and I don't see a need or gain in doing that for ninja to be much less able to do anything but kill with the license.

edit add: part of the challenge of ninja is using your toolkit within limits. if you want to fucking kill everyone, just playing ninja regularly will more than adequately lead them into shrugging off the towel and running at you to get turned into mincemeat anyway. it's better gameplay for the ninja and crew if it's on the crew to initiate that slaughter (of the crew) (without limits) (you can still 100% kill people as a ninja first with reason or in the pursuit of your objectives - that's all the restriction applies.)
feedback appreciated here <3
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #728150

i'm not too keen on the idea of them being unrestricted - they're excellent at combat already but their focus should not be on using nothing but combat to solve every situation. they're ninjas who are encouraged to use everything at their disposal to play the role of a ninja 忍び "the man who sneaks" 忍者 "the man who endures"

if restricted ninjas are killing and not getting in trouble for it then it could possibly mean that things are working as intended and ninjas are acting appropriately in the given IC context. what tends to happen from what i see/experience is that ninjas fuck up their stealth (because it's really quite difficult) and then people start snowballing trying to hunt them and kill them. the more the ninja fights back the more the crew's alert level escalates like metal gear solid and wants to get them.

this to me is a sensible method of escalation - to me the intention behind antag restriction isn't to stop them from killing people, it's to ensure that their choice to be destructive/murderous has reasonable motivation and cause behind it.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #728163

it's really easy to justify killing as ninja but I think it's fine for it to require SOME justification. Ninja works just fine with the current restrictions imo.
► Show Spoiler
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #728165

Ninja 100% does not need to be unrestricted; their kit right now, as everyone is saying, encourages crew to escalate rightfully against them, granting them the onus to kill people. The restrictions encourage roleplay with terrified bystanders by forcing them not to kill them with little reason (would our man who endures kill terrified innocents? little off-base, but I like the idea that the ninja has SOME form of honor.) as well as encouraging actually Doing The Objectives instead of, yknow, lame-ass murderboning.
Walter brought back Crack.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #728166

This thread has given me a lot to think about, I think our old restrictions system might be a touch (putting it lightly) obtuse. I'll look for some way to target the actual disease instead of the unfortunate symptom that is the current state of Ninja. Restriction is a fair bit more complex than its current binary state which we have left it to wither in.