Need help with lag on home page

General SS13 Chat
benswon
Byond Username: Benswon

Need help with lag on home page

Post by benswon » #215639

Hello,
I was interested in trying this game out, but for some reason, the home page for the servers seems to run very slow for me. It takes a couple of seconds for any changes i want to do for character creation. Once i get in game this is not a issue, but it is annoying as i can't create a good character without becoming extremely frustrated.
I attempted closing down nearly all of my Chrome tabs to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't seem to have any effect.
Increasing priority in Task manager may slightly improve it, but not enough for good results.
Does anyone know a good way to speed up the game?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Need help with lag on home page

Post by D&B » #215641

Download more ram
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #216111

most players do not get greater than 15-20fps on ss13
make sure your computer isn't a Macintosh idk doude
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #216178

When you first connect, the game starts to passively send some of the extra resources to you (what isn't required for the game to work, mainly interface window resources). because of how byond works this slows down all other interfaces.

I can look, i wouldn't be shocked if the character creation window interface is also sending it's own resources every change, further bogging things down. edit: It was, i put in a code change request to fix this: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/20847 should take off some of the lag.

However most of the issue i think is the character preview, that has to be generated and sent down the line, this sadly isn't a cheap operation, but in version 512 of the byond server it will get much much faster.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW: