DiscStation Thread: Out of Rotation for Maintence

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Re: DiscStation Thread

Post by JackHunt » #104629

Bottom post of the previous page:

Started to work on atmos but I had to revert my changes due to poor planning. Goddamn would it be nice to have a dual purpose scrubber/supply pipe. Alas. Instead I did a bunch of miscellaneous things
Teleporter and conference room should be swapped with the captain's suite of rooms, because the cap's bedroom is too exposed and the teleporter isn't exposed enough.
Done, although I am unsure how secure to make caps room. Right now you're one rwall from the bedroom but all the goodies are in the office so then you have either another rwall or a door.
Com04.png
Courtroom needs a narrow-window divider and windoor down the middle to stop shitheads messing with the trials
Court maint should be a little more extensive, perhaps behind the HOP's office (so the caps office can be access from maint if it's swapped like above)
I've put the window in. Maint goes behind. I am now debating putting a bar above and naming it some sort of legal pun. I'm taking suggestions on that. I might also extend that maint and put a brief spacewalk over the tube and connect that with the interior port maint.
Detective's office needs another window on the front, one on either side of the door.
Labour shuttle dock needs a few windows looking in at it from maint, to reduce claustrophobia and also so you can tell if it's gone to let you bust into sec
Transfer room is poorly thought out.
Spaced sections in the main maint ring below sec are a bad idea if they block the route.
The maint ring cuts off sec from space with two layers of rwalls, this is not nukeboi friendly
Brig solar umbilical is pretty swag
Detective is done, Labour is rearranged and transfer room has an extra tile of breathing space which seems to look okay. I've removed the rwalls from the inner ring of the sec space moat and put a few windows in. Nukeops can't do it instantly but it's certainly doable to bomb the armory and go in loud.
Garden is out of the way and also fuckheug empty, fill it up with trees or flowers or bushes or pot plants or something
Agreed. Put in a few bushes. We have no good tree sprites unfortunately. I also made a sprite request so hopefully I can get something.
Cargo's cool disposals setup needs seperate conveyors for all the belts, so you can hang onto things sec flushes but not med,
Cargo lobby should be indented by another tile
QM should be indented towards space 2 tiles, so you dont have a 1-wide wall corridor leading into a 2-wide nicely arranged one.
Left wall of mining tunnel should have 2 windows in it.
Already done so that each of the three disposals (from port, starboard or central) is run by a separate lever. Bottom conveyor is separate as well. Cargo got moved out and it alleviates some of the cramps. Forgot about windows, I'll put those in.
The little cramped maint corridor leading to the maint vault should be made bigger, either an ante-room or just opened into the tunnels entirely.
Gravgen's doors/lobby should be visible from main halls

Neither of the two toxins labs have maint access or a blast range
There are two toxins labs.
Gravgen was prehaps a little too secure. I've rearranged the vault as well. There are not two toxins labs. One is a mixing lab like on box and meta. It has a vent but no igniter as well as a volume pump. The rest of the equipment is to make it feature complete compared to box or meta. It's put next to toxins to encourage people to use it. There's a couple new options for gas mixes that people can experiment now. Blast range is difficult to fit so it's going in at a later date. I have not forgot about it though.
AI lobby defense turrets have too little firing range to protect from melee jackintheboxing, move them up or the teleporter room and side doors down
AI walkway uses fullwindows instead of directionalwindows
AI walkway has a solid inner wall
AI core has only 1 rwall
AI stuff and space stuff (along with maint) are getting an overhaul next instead of atmos so this should be fixed by next update.
Surgery is surrounded by rwalls and has no maint access.
Chem has a test-lab which can dump to space, but anything mixed in there which needs venting to space (also they should just ask science to use theirs instead of having one in their back yard) will blow up the windows and expose the lab.
Chemistry has entirely regular walls, exposed to public maint, but the morgue has 100% rwalls
The (really cool btw) cryo tank holding room is too cramped, move maint out 1 tile there and make it 3 wide
You can't see into genetics from the main medbay supercorridor
Surgury rwalls are gone. Why does it need maint access? Chem has a test lab mainly for grenades. They usually don't cause damage to floors and walls. I've put a box of monkey cubes so they have some targets. It gives chem a legit reason to build all those horrifying mixtures they've always wanted to but couldn't justify being non-antag. Rwalls fixed on chem and morgue. Cryo tank room will get fixed when I redo maint. Windows were forgotten, going on the list of stuff to do.
The thing that bothers me the most about this station is the huge fucking hallways.
Take some time to load up your map and walk around in it, it will feel huge and empty and awful.
3 wide really is wide enough, 4 at best.
I have loaded it up and it doesn't feel so bad. An extra tile really does make it feel like a main throughfare and it makes gunplay much more fun in chases down the halls. But the most consistent criticism of the map is the space allocation so I tried to justify the use of 5 wide. First I made a mock-up of a 4w section of the station.
4whall.png
But it really didn't solve anything in my opinion. If you thought 5 was too wide 4 really isn't that much of an improvement. Instead what I settled to do is sprinkle more cosmetics through the halls, vending, disposals, chairs, ect. I also put in some glass covered space tiles. One of the worst things about sections of box is the complete lack of awareness that you are in space. Hopefully these windows or floordows or whatever help allievate that. They also break up the corridors (not too much I hope) and actually have the unexpected benefit of damping plasma fires in the main halls. So that's nice. I am unsure as to the spacing of them so I'd like feed back.

Sorry about the wall of text, without further ado,
Current State of the Station
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #104831

Surgery needs maint access so that antags can steal the surgery tools. At the very least, it needs an extra door leading somewhere without med access (surgery is a commonly-used escape route)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #104888

Surgery really isn't that close to maint so it's awkward to change it up. I don't think there's a shortage of surgery tools on the map though. Med Research and robotics both have a full set of surgery tools. There's also an abandoned room north of med with everything but a circular saw. There's a circular saw in the spaced section below security along with the counterfeit fabricator. If that's not enough should I place more/make them easier to access?
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #105817

Maint is officially done it's first pass but I'm sure there's still more to be done. There's now a bomb range, escape pods and more kicking around the station. Most rooms have updated light placement and the areas were revamped once again to deal with some rearrangements in maint. AI sat got a very minor update as well but there's more to do there. The next big step is atmos for the station so if there aren't any layout objections I'll go and do that.

Current state of the station.
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #105885

oh yeah, keep it up amigo.
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #105886

oh yeah, keep it up amigo.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #106158

So from my brief look at this map I have a few bits of feedback.

Why does the tram-tube network terminate at science? Wouldn't it be more sensible to terminate at arrivals and make it like some kind of transit hub? Or was the purpose to make it Science orientated? (I guess it kinda makes sense for a research station).

The extra maintenance doors slowing people down from entering the bridge just seem silly rather than limiting the access. Bridge needs to be secure but also vulnerable to an extent, the extra doors just look weird.

Engineering seems cramped and elongated compared to the massive amounts of space other departments get. I get that the wide corridors and whole structure is supposed to feel big, looming and empty (I really like that idea), but some of the departments feel simply crammed in a corner like they were forgotten.

At any rate theres some really nice ideas here. I particularly like the new theatre look and the bio-dome kinda thing is neat, but I feel like it needs to be almost ALL windows to give it that "open air" kinda feel.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #106992

Why does the tram-tube network terminate at science? Wouldn't it be more sensible to terminate at arrivals and make it like some kind of transit hub? Or was the purpose to make it Science orientated? (I guess it kinda makes sense for a research station).
I'd love for it to terminate at arrivals. The fact is that sadly the currently implementation of transit tubes pretty much require a section of space (like the final frontier kinda space, not the trading kind of spaces) and having the tubes wrap around the station makes them too slow to use. The current transit tube times after I tweaked their path are just about perfect, the max time is almost identical to the walking time and most likely much shorter. Crossing them doesn't look nice either unless they're in space with the airlock-3 tile-airlock setup. So they pretty much have to go in the center. I choose the top of the starboard arm since Science and Med need the most immediate connection (it's the longest trip to otherwise walk) and it also doubles as the entry point to the AI sat which I like. I guess in some ideal world you'd have transit tubes like dispenser tubes that can go under things but then no one would see all the pretty tubes flying everywhere. Gameplay wise I like how they work now but it'll have to wait till I distribute the .dmm to get some real feedback on that.
The extra maintenance doors slowing people down from entering the bridge just seem silly rather than limiting the access. Bridge needs to be secure but also vulnerable to an extent, the extra doors just look weird.
Removed the door. Currently it's pretty hard to break into the bridge. There's one r-wall in the caps bedroom that you can break but it's pretty slow to go in that way, especially since anything you'd want to steal is still another r-wall away. Otherwise you can hack the door and get into the bridge proper. I'm not sure how to secure it. Motion cameras maybe? Teleporter is insanely insecure compared to box though. One r-wall from public maint is bad. Perhaps that's not the worst thing. Teleporter hijinks might be fun. I can always up the spacemoat if it's unbearable come playtesting.
Engineering seems cramped and elongated compared to the massive amounts of space other departments get. I get that the wide corridors and whole structure is supposed to feel big, looming and empty (I really like that idea), but some of the departments feel simply crammed in a corner like they were forgotten.
Compared to box it really isn't that bad. The engineering kinda like maint doesn't need to have a huge foyer. Most engineers will spend their time abroad unlike other departments which get more consistent traffic. I've also put a motion cam by the PA. It seems waaaaaay to high risk to not have that kinda security, especially given how accessible engineering is from maint. Good engineers do that on roundstart anyway.

Biodome got a wall of glass btw,

Anyways in this update piping was started (again) and maint got a workover (again). Almost any path has at least two branches in it or rooms to hide in. Maint also got two glass umbilicals along the inner sides of the arms. You might take a few oxy damage or brute from a quick unprotected spacewalk but it connects the courtroom maint with the inner port arm maint and the command maint with the inner starboard arm maint. There are also transit tube dispensers for repairs to the network (or some sabotage).

The current state of the station.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #106996

The maint that runs behind permabrig needs to go.

You just have to decon one wall and smash the window and they're out.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #107008

I wanted to keep it vulnerable enough so that nuke ops could get to the armory. I can electrify the grilles. Or perhaps partition the spacemoat and keep the perma one larger. I don't want to do away with that maint because it's a pretty big alternate route through the station and disued location for antags. Though to be fair there isn't all access on the engineering side so it's not super useful as transport or escape for the general population. I'm willing to hear other options. 2 tiles of space will make it pretty hard to do. I'll test that out later today.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #107010

JackHunt wrote:I wanted to keep it vulnerable enough so that nuke ops could get to the armory. I can electrify the grilles. Or perhaps partition the spacemoat and keep the perma one larger. I don't want to do away with that maint because it's a pretty big alternate route through the station and disued location for antags. Though to be fair there isn't all access on the engineering side so it's not super useful as transport or escape for the general population. I'm willing to hear other options. 2 tiles of space will make it pretty hard to do. I'll test that out later today.
I absolutely guarantee someone will fake wall the wall tiles facing the windows at round start as Antag consistently. All you have to do then is smash the window and grill (even if electrified it won't stop someone because they can just throw shit at the grill) then run and hit the fake wall. Bam gone.

Get out of perma free insurance.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #107019

Perhaps it shouldn't be so easy but preemptively sabotaging perma is a pretty rad strat. I wouldn't mind encouraging that, albeit in a less surefire way. Again, I'll try and find some sort of alternative. It would be great if there was some way to consistently damage someone passing through a turf.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #107053

your mining shuttle won't work unless you change how the mining station docks at. Your current door would just make it lead to space
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #107058

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't even started touching other z levels yet. Centcom and mining will both need changes.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #107771

Piping is done. Check out the madness.

Current state of the station

Tons of minor fixes, hooking up shutters properly, AI lobby redone, Lots of var edits to make machinery work. A few new maint rooms. Med and Sec have their own air supplies and generators if needed. Sec has some alligators in the spacemoat so to speak. The carp there is quite mean but has been var-edited to not destroy the windows. Only a danger to prisoners braving the moat to escape.
Celdur
Byond Username: Celdurr

Post by Celdur » #107846

You missed quite a few rooms there. Ironically atmos is one them.
Also the hallways could use a few more.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #109021

Fixed up some Atmos issues. Got disposals working. The map is basically in an alpha state right now. It's feature complete but needs to be much more polished before I'll think about distributing the dmm. I've run some of the mapping debug tools on it and the bottom line is I have 626 issues I need to fix. This'll be a long process so I apologize for the more sporadic updates ahead of time. I'll keep the OP updated with progress.
TheWiznard
Github User

Re: DiscStation Thread: Officially in Alpha!

Post by TheWiznard » #109082

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work, like the corner computer would be unusable like this at the labor shuttle thing . I'm bored right now and looking at the update picture and if I see anything else I'll let you know
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #109360

That could be made to work, I think, if you made the corner computer actually on the same tile as the chair but then offset it. I know that's how you get wall-things like newscasters to work from more than one tile away.
RIP
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #110587

Eh, I just ended up putting them in a row. There's been a whole slew of minor changes, lights air alarms and more. I'm way over halfway done my mapping issue list so huzzah! Also this is the first image of disposals so be sure to look at the clusterfuck north of cargo. For those wondering the disposals system is three loops for each section of the station. They need to parcel sort and each sort junction only takes one sort argument.

510/626

JackHunt

Re: DiscStation Thread: Beta Testers Wanted!

Post by JackHunt » #111271

Hey All, I am now looking for people to Beta test this map! What this means is downloading the .dmm, hosting your own server and playing as a department or two that you're familiar with. I'm not asking for a complete test and I'll try and update with whatever suggestions or fixes that are needed. This map is NOT ready for a full playtest and will not be ready for a while. The map needs polish and also a lot of functional fixes as well. Additionally if there are larger concerns about department arrangements or positioning I'm still more than willing to rearrange things.

Download it, give it a whirl and let me know what you think!

DiscStation.0.6.0.dmm
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #111298

Pretty sure the SMES layout there is going to slowly starve the station of power.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #111302

The SMES have been var edited. Three store power and one has a very high output. This should make power control less tedious. This combined with the four solar SMESs and the Backup power SMESs is more than enough to power the station in my tests. It's subject to change if it doesn't work.

Upon further inspection, it'll be impossibe to repair so it seems like I'm going with the standard setup.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #111544

Fixed up a few things in the latest release:
Added Air canisters and space heaters to maint on starboard and port arms for hallway grief.
Added maint section below security with walled in areas
Added maint section on port arm with several cubbies
Added cosmetic changes around Arrivals docking bay
Added several more girders and equipment in center space
Removed some suits from Escape EVA and moved them to a closet by arrivals. If there is ever a problem inbetween escape and the rest of the station, it'll be easier to get to escape.
Fixed QM conveyor to hall

DiscStation.0.6.4.dmm

Current Image of the Station
Nexendia
Byond Username: Nexendia

Post by Nexendia » #111906

Spoiler:
OriginalImage

EditedImage
Need to put rwalls where I left those poorly CopyPaste rwalls with the black boxes or it only takes 1 rwall to get inside instead of 2.

This shit terrifies me..
Spoiler:
Yee boi red gloves for days!

Not sure why this isn't near the teleporter Xenobio...

How you get in here is just a bit awkward and how you have the test range not using the space above where it currently is just doens't make sense..

This is cool.. though you are missing the stacker for the stuff you do get from the recycler

Insecure as fuck...

Uh.. what is this for???
Also fuckya more syndie shit!

1. Are you SURE that the cargo shuttle and escape can fit?
2. That escape shuttle doesn't look big enough.

That is the arrivals shuttle.... nevermind

I do hope that is friendly..

I get why those are there.. but I can't find a reason to have them anyways..

Reminds me of Derilict Chapel +1 Though it looks really awkward to move around in
holyshit I have edited this like 20 times now.. and I still missed the most important thing.

I love the map and keep up the good work!
っぽい
Spoiler:
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #112117

Thanks for the feedback. There's a new version with a lot of changes coming out next week. The carp isn't friendly. It's to stop a simple false wall and two second spacewalk from getting you out of perma. The AI sat and port interior arm are getting completely redone.
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #112123

JackHunt wrote:Thanks for the feedback. There's a new version with a lot of changes coming out next week. The carp isn't friendly. It's to stop a simple false wall and two second spacewalk from getting you out of perma. The AI sat and port interior arm are getting completely redone.
but won't that make perma completely useless? anytime someone is put in perma the carp is just gonna aggro through the glass an kill them
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #112706

TheWiznard wrote:but won't that make perma completely useless? anytime someone is put in perma the carp is just gonna aggro through the glass an kill them
Nope. The carp has been varedited to not destroy the windows. It serves as a security measure like a guard dog to prevent someone from false walling near perma and then taking a three tile spacewalk to escape if they get caught later. I'd compare the difficulty in dealing with a buffed spacecarp with the difficulty escaping from box or meta. I mean, if you take the time to setup an escape or if you have a man on the outside it's pretty easy, but alone it's a challenge.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #112861

Brand new update, check it out.

Reworked Sec Maint to be more compact, removed escape pods
Added escape pods to the north of Port and Starboard arms
Removed R-Windows from Bar and Library
Made a bigger AI sat access tube entrance, moved Gateway over two tiles
Cosmetic Changes to the Bridge
Changed solar array design and positioning to free up space
Added a backdoor access to AI upload (liable to be removed if too abusable)
Gave a one tile maint connection to meeting room
Complete rework of telecommunications. Added a new small maint cubby for the bland port interior maint
Removed extra doors from medbay south
Added Vents to holding cells.
Hooked up a few disposals
Revamp of engineering
Actual Foyey now
Some of the tools in Tech storage were moved to engivends
Space from tech storage used for eng sec
Cosmetic changes to all transit tube stations
Test range moved from vertical to horizontal, maint got rearranged near there
New maintlock for toxins to reach bomb testing now
Completely new AI sat
More lights
A few new cameras
A few new windows
Custom z2
new escape shuttle
modified cargo shuttle
escape pod docking

DiscStation.0.7.8.dmm

Current Image of the Station

Be sure to check out the new AI sat and telecoms.
AI03.png
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #112864

>north of port and starboard
My autism tingles.

Also, I kinda doubt the teleporter works that way. Switch the console and chair?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Nexendia
Byond Username: Nexendia

Post by Nexendia » #112929

The new AI sat is horrid >_> seriously all you needed to do was place those rwalls and it would have been 10/10

new comms is alright though where you have the three computers for scripts and shit needs some windows
っぽい
Spoiler:
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #112995

You still need to do something about those two random maint pods, such as moving them to a section of the station with little escape pods. :v
Also those two space turrets are literally only useful for subverted AIs, taser bolts dont go through glass.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #113036

asymmetrical core

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #113054

I redid the AI core because I didn't like how the lobby worked or the two arms reaching back to the maintenance section. Since the umbilical doesn't work (although I wish it did because I really like it) I'll probably revert to the current lobby+maint with the old core instead + fixed teleporter. The escape pods will be moved next revision to somewhere around arrivals and comms will get windows.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #113779

So I've been busy with work and haven't had as much time to work on the map as I've wanted to have. Here is a slightly out of date image of the next revision of the AI sat. In the current version there are air vents, scrubbers and a camera in the turret antechamber. Tell me what you think. I am still looking for feedback on any and all areas of the map. I'm sure there's tons of stuff that still isn't working.
AI04.png
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #113870

JackHunt wrote:So I've been busy with work and haven't had as much time to work on the map as I've wanted to have. Here is a slightly out of date image of the next revision of the AI sat. In the current version there are air vents, scrubbers and a camera in the turret antechamber. Tell me what you think. I am still looking for feedback on any and all areas of the map. I'm sure there's tons of stuff that still isn't working.
AI04.png
Here are some concerns:
- The shutter control for the entrance turrets are not within the AI's view. Do not forget that AI vision was nerfed such that cannot use its mob-sight. Place it somewhere the AI's enclosure cannot obscure its view of any important controls.

- There is no real point of having anything above a very basic atmos system. Unless you are willing to connect it to station atmos (for plasma floods), you do not need anything fancy.

- The areas outside the chamber itself are missing intercoms and AI status screens. Add both types of screen (AI, Station) to the lobby area, and intercoms for the lobby, teleporter, and turret antechamber, tuned to AI Private. The screens not only add more flavor to the area, but do serve the purpose of knowing if the AI is okay. (BSOD = AI is dead, not ghosted / EMP damage to screen. Blank = Dead AI, ghosted / No AI installed)
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #113897

Sounds good. The only reasons there's an atmos system is so AI's have another minor tool to help with defense. Panic siphoned rooms or rooms that have been over-pressurized are just another set of obstacles that can stop human intruders. Really though if someones really set on killing you and prepared for it, there's not much you can do. I'll double check the shutter button and place some screens.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #113902

A very interesting map to be sure, I look forward to seeing it's progress, I'll delve into it deeper later, but right now my primary computer is quietly sobbing in a corner and I'm stuck on a tired old tablet. that being said, just looking at it, I have a handful of notes about the brig.

Beepsky seems to start in the armory, and I'd like you to note that if his route involves bits inside of securitry, that presents a massive risk to security as people can time it and rush in. a long time a ago beepsky started in the brig, (though his route did not take him back through it) and every round at round start I would have to quickly grab my taser and wait just outside the view of the door so I could shoot the lawyer Uhangi, who rushed that open door at round start every single round he could, trying to rush the open lockers and snag anything he could before anyone was prepared to stop him, and I'd hate to see such a blatent issue repeated when it's avoidable entirely by simply moving beepsky's roundstart position.

Also, I'd like to mention that I like your permabrig, how it's wrapped in space tiles, but I cannot tell how much of it is grilled and how much isn't, as the picture has a lot of black tiles it might be fine, just keep in mind, excessive grilles means any fool with a welder a wrench and a stack of metal can permanently make the permabrig worthless, by cutting into space there, and adding floortiles and grilles all over it filling it completely up to the windows of the perma allowing convicts to walk out. Even easier by releasing a floorbot in the area (Though I honestly don't know how those work, but judging by what I do know, they'd try to fill it.) I feel like a single medkit would be enough to make it through the damage without a suit, due to there not being all that much required between you, When I can, I'll test and see if I can get through there without a space suit as I theorize I can.

Edit: though I dunno about that spess carp, it might complicate things a bit. maybe it's fine, but how do you use it to stop people from aiding escape without allowing it to break the glass to perma pursuing prisoners within thus negating the perma brig anyways?
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #113988

Falamazeer wrote: Edit: though I dunno about that spess carp, it might complicate things a bit. maybe it's fine, but how do you use it to stop people from aiding escape without allowing it to break the glass to perma pursuing prisoners within thus negating the perma brig anyways?
JackHunt wrote:
TheWiznard wrote:but won't that make perma completely useless? anytime someone is put in perma the carp is just gonna aggro through the glass an kill them
Nope. The carp has been varedited to not destroy the windows. It serves as a security measure like a guard dog to prevent someone from false walling near perma and then taking a three tile spacewalk to escape if they get caught later. I'd compare the difficulty in dealing with a buffed spacecarp with the difficulty escaping from box or meta. I mean, if you take the time to setup an escape or if you have a man on the outside it's pretty easy, but alone it's a challenge.
empty quoting
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #114777

Here's the current emergency shuttle:
Shuttle1.png
Now that shuttles work you can play any roundtype you please. The map is probably getting close to a playtest so that is nice. I've made the armory securitron start turned off to fix it leaving the armory doors open at round start.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #115846

Finished space content. Mining is mostly the same as box because if it isn't broke, don't fix it. There is a completely new z3 but I don't want to spoil it just yet. Now that shuttles work and the map has spawns in for antags, the map is probably totally functional. I'd like to move on to a full playtest soon and get some more feedback so I can continue to refine the map.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #117187

An update on my opinion, since I was your first huge critic:
I still hate it! Good job. I'll go in depth, this time without screenshots though because I don't want to go through that effort.

GENERAL

The entire map is still an oversized, disgusting, tumorous station. The size distribution is handled awfully. The big, central hallway could be half that size if you had put something that actually makes sense there, like maybe medbay and science. The hallways are big, which works in some maps, but here there's no reason. They go on forever with no variation at all. Seriously.

Your piping is absolutely awful. It goes wherever the fuck it wants to go. Try to keep it in maintenance.

The transit tubes are hideous, completely hideous. There's no reason for them to be a thing, don't even have them. The only reason you came up with the idea is because medbay and science are on opposite sides of the station.

Medbay and science are still on opposite sides of the station. Fuck that.

Nothing is secure.

There's random shit floating in space, like the weird circle things and random plating. Why?

TOO MANY GLASS TABLES.

There's many fucking 3x1 holes guarded by only window panes. That's awful.

COMMAND

It's shaped like a penis.

The HoP office is cool, as I predicted.

The Captain's office is terrible. There's no reason to hide the desk behind actual windows. Even Metastation's single pane windows are considered overkill, sometimes. There's no need for the bedroom to be 3x4, make it 3x3 and increase the size of the bathroom. Make all of the captain's desk accessible from his seat. Also, why is it so cramped?

The secure EVA thing makes no sense. It doesn't need to be there, and even if it SERIOUSLY did need to be there, it's ugly. Make it 3x2.

The bridge is ugly. It's cramped and literally just windows, nothing else. Where will ai status shit go?

The floor is boring and ugly. Why is there a 2x3 rtable thing near the bridge if there's already a meeting room?

The AI upload is literally a tumor. And it's incredibly insecure.

The AI sat is okay, except for the enormous staircase. Make it staircase, normal tiles, staircase, normal tiles. A pattern.

What the fuck is wrong with the vault? It's a potato. It's ugly.

SECURITY

The main hallway + security office is a penis. An ugly shaped one.

There's no need for two tables in the security office, but otherwise I like it a lot.

Why would the barriers be in a different room than the armory. Metastation does that, but that's because there's a whole auxillary low-security armory. This is just a room with barriers.

The armory is fine.

The permabrig is tiny and cramped, and so tucked away that no one wil ever check prisoners EVER.

The execution room is so tiny yet so empty. Why?

The warden's room is cramped and shaped like a potato. You need to have more square rooms. Everything is a lump.

Equipment is truly an ugly, empty room.

The HoS office is HUGE, there's no need for all that room. Also, add a space window.

ENGINEERING

For such an ugly map, I like that it's rounded at the bottom of the "disc" that the station's kind of shaped like. It's nice to look at.

It's still way too empty. So much empty space. You have everything packed into the main lobby, but nothing in the wings branching off.

The SMES room is big and not needed, since the SMES being in the equipment room would be out of range of the singularity.

The singularity containment is round, for no reason. It's ugly and all the plating makes it look emptier than the normal, large containment.

ATMOSPHERICS

Why did you keep it here. It's so easy to intrude and totally fuck everything up. It's terrible, absolutely awful. There is no way to make an interior atmospherics work, no matter how hard you try.

The pipes are ok, but I don't like that everything is against the top wall. It should be spread out more.

Mark where the distro loop is with like, some special tiles on the floor.

The color shit around the computers looks bad.

The gigantic room under atmos with the canisters is totally empty and hideous. The only vital things there are canisters and two computers. The rest is filler to hold those two things.

The maintenance surrounding it on the top right is ugly.

MEDICAL

The lobby is empty and ugly, and those plants make no sense and have no variation. There should be some walls closing it off.

The desk is awful. Terrible. It should have a door coming from the interior.

Why is there a test chamber for chemistry. Do you see how easy it is to vent medbay using that?

The chemists having the two pill-making machines side by side means a chemist can fuck with the other and flush his chemicals randomly. No.

The entire department is one single long hallway, and that's awful. Hallway departments are always bad without exception.

The laundry room is cute.

The morgue is way too big. It's absurd, and completely isolated.

What the fuck is wrong with virology? Why is it so long?

Genetics is way way way too small, make it bigger.

Why three sleepers?

Why not replace the random beds in the lobby with roller beds?

SCIENCE

Shooting range is still too small.

What the fuck is wrong with the bomb range?

Robotics is cool.

The mechbay is ugly and also too small.

RnD is shit. Especially the computer and other equipment's position.

Toxins is too empty.

CARGO

It looks cool.

The warehouse is too empty.

The main desk is way too small.

The random plating outside is ugly and not needed.

There's no desk in the trash room, and also the room makes no sense.

The single room where all mail is sorted? That's the worst thing I've seen in my life. What the fuck?

GENERAL COMMODITIES

The bar is ugly with the tiles, it doesn't need those shutters, and it needs actual doors. And it's puny.

The kitchen sink is hideous, and the kitchen itself is cramped.

Fuck botany. Didn't I say to fix it? The trays are absolute horseshit. Again, equipment isn't distributed, it's all against one wall.

The gibber should not be so easy to access.

The theatre sucks. That same layout was done on efficiency 1 and people hated it.

The chapel is incredibly small and, no.

The library's roleplay room is tucked away, make it more public. Also more bookcases please.

CIVILIAN

Dorms is gigantic and labyrinthine. Fuck your dorms. There's no reason for it to be so big and ugly, except for your stupid disc shapes. It's ugly and I bet it'll suck to walk through.

I can see the cogmap inspiration in the public garden, but the 2x2 tiles with random shit on it is ugly, and the equipment room should just be equally distributed in the otherwise empty room.

The fighting ring/holodeck are just THERE. It's ugly and should be more planned.

Arrivals is straight up hideous.

Escape is straight up empty. The escape bar is pointless and stupid, also there's a million shutters.

MAINTENANCE

I'm not going to waste time on explaining why the maintenance is absolutely, completely, 100% fucking awful. It's the worst maintenance I've seen on a map, like, ever. There's random shit everywhere, and it would be hell to walk through. It sucks.

IN SUMMATION

Start over.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #117411

TL:DR allura likes box shapes and doesn't like disc shapes.

The rest is all filler and/or wrong.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
allura

Post by allura » #117545

You're an idiot. Dismissing my criticism entirely is more harmful than me acting like a douche, because at least I'm providing him with information he can use to improve. Were I to just say "Great job!" or, on the other hand, "Fuck you" then I'm giving two statements which provide no advice.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #118005

I’ve updated the map several times but dmmrender is broken while N3X15 is working on it so no pictures and without them, I decided not to update. Besides, most of what I’ve done is boring stuff like roundstart errors.
Allura, while I appreciate the detail and amount of commentary and criticism and certainly would like to encourage more of it from more people, a lot of what you said is basically without any explanation. I've made some changes to the map since reading it but I'll try and explain my reasoning for your various points. If you’d like, clarify some of your “This is the worst shit ever” comments.
allura wrote:An update on my opinion, since I was your first huge critic:
I still hate it! Good job. I'll go in depth, this time without screenshots though because I don't want to go through that effort.

GENERAL
The entire map is still an oversized, disgusting, tumorous…
…That's awful.
The station is supposed to be big, hulking, and empty. It's a secret, corporate, research facility and I wanted this map to feel like that. If I’ve made it a bit too brutalist in some areas, hopefully the detail in the areas you’ll be staying in, not passing through, makes up for that. I am fairly certain that Med and Sci being apart will not make or break any map but this can be left up to testing. I don’t think I have enough information to make that call anyway. As for the security, feedback was that things were too secure previously and I had to introduce various insecurities to compensate. It’s a balance thing and it’ll need some playtesting to figure out. There’s random stuff in space and empty rooms for people to go build autism forts in. There are 59 glass tables in my map. Box has 41. Meta has over 100.
allura wrote: COMMAND

It's shaped like a penis…
…the fuck is wrong with the vault? It's a potato. It's ugly
It really, really doesn’t matter that it’s shaped like a penis. Besides, since you’ll only ever see 15x15 tiles. Captains office has been moved around a bit. There’s plenty of room so I tried to de-clutter it. There’s AI status screens now. There’s a table because you need to put the items somewhere. AI upload didn’t used to be insecure. I’m sure I can find a happy medium when balance changes are made. The vault is a potato because who cares? It’s the vault.
allura wrote: SECURITY

The main hallway + security office is a penis. An ugly shaped one…

…HoS office is HUGE, there's no need for all that room. Also, add a space window.
I really don’t get where you’re seeing the penis. Seriously, it doesn’t matter. There’s an antechamber to the armory so both Warden and HoS have access. The barriers went there because that’s where there was space. Wardens office got rearranged and resized. Equipment got moved around as well. HoS is important. He gets a fancy office and it’s not like Sec is starved for space.
allura wrote: ENGINEERING

For such an ugly map, I like that it's rounded at the bottom of the "disc" that the station's kind of shaped like. It's nice to look at…
…singularity containment is round, for no reason. It's ugly and all the plating makes it look emptier than the normal, large containment.
Points taken. I’m looking at breathing some life into engineering.
allura wrote: ATMOSPHERICS

Why did you keep it here. It's so easy to intrude and totally fuck everything up. It's terrible, absolutely awful. There is no way to make an interior atmospherics work, no matter how hard you try…

…maintenance surrounding it on the top right is ugly.
So I’ve tried bombing it. At the absolute best you can take out the CO2, Plasma, N2O and some mix machinery. Or, if you want to risk standing 10 tiles from security, you can get the O2 and N2. You pretty much cannot get the Air tank without standing IN atmos or right the heck next to security. Of all the places to drop bombs atmos is actually pretty tame. I mean the pumps will stop working but it’s not going to kill everyone on the station before the shuttle arrives. A bomb anywhere is pretty much a shuttle call now. Can you explain what really makes my atmos different from Box? A bomb in maint right next to it is going to fuck it up on either map, right? If it absolutely must go, I have an alternate mock up with it moved down but I think that I’m not going to move it before playtesting feedback. The maint is crappy as is the lobby so I’ll work on that.
allura wrote: MEDICAL

The lobby is empty and ugly, and those plants make no sense and have no variation. There should be some walls closing it…
…not replace the random beds in the lobby with roller beds?
Lobby has walls now. I rarely see people use the desk. Why must it be connected to the inside? Test chamber is now for grenade mixes, not atmos (unless you make plasma smoke grenades) so the vents are gone. Machines were rearranged. Why are hallway departments bad without exception? I’ve broken it up with vendors, beds and walls. Morgue is small in area compared to box or meta, it’s just long. It also is a good hiding place, like laundry, in an otherwise fairly open department. What is actually wrong with virology? Genetics was made bigger. Dunno what else to put in it though. Good idea on the roller beds.
allura wrote: SCIENCE

Shooting range is still too small….
…Toxins is too empty.
Shooting range was lengthened and moved horizontal. Still don’t see why it has to be so big. What is wrong with the bomb range exactly? Mechbay is functional and doesn’t need to be bigger. You don’t use it for much. I’ll try and move around the equipment in R&D. Toxins can be rearranged too. The trash room is for storage and deliveries. It’s also fairly tucked away in a busy department.
allura wrote: CARGO

It looks cool….
… single room where all mail is sorted? That's the worst thing I've seen in my life. What the fuck?
Reworked it and freed up a lot of space, QM is in the top corner now and it looks much better. Random plating outside is just for flavor. Hardly anyone will see it. It’s rough now but why is the mail room the worst thing you’ve seen in your life? You got three incoming disposals from three departments, three conveyors to sort on and one output. I’ll try rearranging to conveyors nicer. I have an idea for the layout.
allura wrote: GENERAL COMMODITIES

The bar is ugly with the tiles, it doesn't need those shutters, and it needs actual doors. And it's puny….
…library's roleplay room is tucked away, make it more public. Also more bookcases please.
The bar is a bit small. I was trying a more open look. Why are the doors important? The kitchen is also small, I agree. Botany works fine in my experience. There’s always a table by the trays and the oddness of it doesn’t stop you from being efficient. I’ve moved some of the equipment around. Gibber is next to a public hall. It’s hard to break in there and not get caught. On box you can always slink away into maintence. What’s wrong with the chapel? The library got redone. Looks better now.
allura wrote: CIVILIAN

Dorms is gigantic and labyrinthine. Fuck your dorms. There's no reason for it to be so big and ugly, except for your stupid disc shapes. It's ugly and I bet it'll suck to walk through…
…Escape is straight up empty. The escape bar is pointless and stupid, also there's a million shutters.
I was going for labyrinthine actually. It’s the place where the shady shit goes down and in an otherwise open station provides a lot of nooks and crannies. Besides who uses dorms? ERPers and Antags. It’s like perfect for them. The 2x2 tiles are a picnic blanket… . The holodeck, fighting ring and biodome are all part of the fitness section, I feel like they work well together. Escape and Arrivals are pretty transitory. The escape bar is there since it’s a mandatory part of most rounds, you might as well provide *something* while people stand in escape. Bonus points for the bar being pressurized separately.
allura wrote:
MAINTENANCE

I'm not going to waste time on explaining why the maintenance is absolutely, completely, 100% fucking awful. It's the worst maintenance I've seen on a map, like, ever. There's random shit everywhere, and it would be hell to walk through. It sucks.
It’s too long? Not enough hiding spots? Too linear? Not linear enough? I tried the twisting and turning maint as a contrast to the huge open and departments. I’ve been tweaking it but most areas have tons to do in them and plenty of alternate routes. I know it’s not square but that’s not actually a gameplay problem. In fact there is a degree of skill navigating the twists and turns while being chased. Hell to walk through is exactly what maintenance is. Pipes and shit, grilles, turns, twists. It’s not designed to be easy and boring to walkthrough like the main halls. I’ve since added some more areas and loops as well for variety.
allura wrote: IN SUMMATION

Start over.
I’m already doing some other maps on the side. I’d like to see some more testing with this before I throw it away. More generally I’d also like some more feedback if anyone else wants to rip it apart like allura did.
allura

Post by allura » #118055

JackHunt wrote: The station is supposed to be big, hulking, and empty. It's a secret, corporate, research facility and I wanted this map to feel like that. If I’ve made it a bit too brutalist in some areas, hopefully the detail in the areas you’ll be staying in, not passing through, makes up for that. I am fairly certain that Med and Sci being apart will not make or break any map but this can be left up to testing. I don’t think I have enough information to make that call anyway. As for the security, feedback was that things were too secure previously and I had to introduce various insecurities to compensate. It’s a balance thing and it’ll need some playtesting to figure out. There’s random stuff in space and empty rooms for people to go build autism forts in. There are 59 glass tables in my map. Box has 41. Meta has over 100.
I understand the vision, however, regardless of how well you think you've pulled it off, you've only managed to create something ugly and probably not that fun to play on. Medical and Science are the two most played departments, and they most definitely make/break a map. Notice that the only populated place on Box is the right wing, where Medsci is? You definitely need to reconsider. I don't think security is bad enough to say a lot about, but it has some ugly shapes for no real great reason. Random space for autism forts is an awful idea, considering there's massive amounts of empty space just outside the station. Metastation, which is incredibly cramp, is rife with locations for autism forts without the need for so much empty space. I see one almost every round.
On glass tables: Meta having over 100 is a lie. I specifically placed all of them myself. Glass tables are located exclusively in insecure medical areas, all break rooms, and the bridge. That's it. Remember that glass tables, even though they look nice, don't work as good as normal ones. They don't look that great in random places, either.
JackHunt wrote:It really, really doesn’t matter that it’s shaped like a penis. Besides, since you’ll only ever see 15x15 tiles. Captains office has been moved around a bit. There’s plenty of room so I tried to de-clutter it. There’s AI status screens now. There’s a table because you need to put the items somewhere. AI upload didn’t used to be insecure. I’m sure I can find a happy medium when balance changes are made. The vault is a potato because who cares? It’s the vault.
You can easily expand the bridge area, which is small and cramped, back into the massive empty square just behind it, and then place tables or racks around. The random tables with no chairs or anything looks like total garbage, you could even add a storage room in the nearby maintenance. Anything but what you did.
The vault, regardless of its importance, should at least look nice. It's a fortified base to hold a very important object.
JackHunt wrote:I really don’t get where you’re seeing the penis. Seriously, it doesn’t matter. There’s an antechamber to the armory so both Warden and HoS have access. The barriers went there because that’s where there was space. Wardens office got rearranged and resized. Equipment got moved around as well. HoS is important. He gets a fancy office and it’s not like Sec is starved for space.
The sec office is the balls, the hall is the shaft. And it does matter!! The antechamber could work better if it wasn't totally barren sans four barriers that crowd the room. I would suggest removing it altogether and expanding the armory in it, that would make an oblong albeit DESIRABLE shape, not like a potato but more like a mushroom.
Security on this map is pretty small, considering you felt the need to add an antechamber and turn the sec office into a sort of hub (which I appreciate, honestly, it makes it a place people will actually be.)
HoS, even if he is important, doesn't need an office that's so big it's actually empty. That's not fancy, it's poor design.
JackHunt wrote:So I’ve tried bombing it. At the absolute best you can take out the CO2, Plasma, N2O and some mix machinery. Or, if you want to risk standing 10 tiles from security, you can get the O2 and N2. You pretty much cannot get the Air tank without standing IN atmos or right the heck next to security. Of all the places to drop bombs atmos is actually pretty tame. I mean the pumps will stop working but it’s not going to kill everyone on the station before the shuttle arrives. A bomb anywhere is pretty much a shuttle call now. Can you explain what really makes my atmos different from Box? A bomb in maint right next to it is going to fuck it up on either map, right? If it absolutely must go, I have an alternate mock up with it moved down but I think that I’m not going to move it before playtesting feedback. The maint is crappy as is the lobby so I’ll work on that.
Trust me, I'm not worried about bombing. I'm worried that you can easily crack open a wall, build a plating and 2 walls w/ an RCD, then remove the last wall and now you have access to a huge amount of deadly, incredibly deadly, round ending equipment. Given you didn't separated distro from the rest of the place, you don't even have to open one more door/window to fuck with that either.
Box's atmos is on the peripheral of the station, it has a separate distro loop, the equipment is nicely distributed about the room, and the desk is a small modular room that makes sense.
JackHunt wrote:Lobby has walls now. I rarely see people use the desk. Why must it be connected to the inside? Test chamber is now for grenade mixes, not atmos (unless you make plasma smoke grenades) so the vents are gone. Machines were rearranged. Why are hallway departments bad without exception? I’ve broken it up with vendors, beds and walls. Morgue is small in area compared to box or meta, it’s just long. It also is a good hiding place, like laundry, in an otherwise fairly open department. What is actually wrong with virology? Genetics was made bigger. Dunno what else to put in it though. Good idea on the roller beds.
I always see people use the desk every round. The desk being connected from the inside makes it easier to climb over a table and hack open a door, making the department have an interesting weak spot. Hallway departments are boring and lack character. There's no nice, central area to explore around in, and have everything given to you from one place (like you did with Security, which I said I liked), instead you have obnoxious wings to navigate around in.
Virology is a long hallway with equipment placed sparingly around the walls. It isn't cool to have to move around the entire hall to exit, if you're working in the bottom nodule.
JackHunt wrote:Shooting range was lengthened and moved horizontal. Still don’t see why it has to be so big. What is wrong with the bomb range exactly? Mechbay is functional and doesn’t need to be bigger. You don’t use it for much. I’ll try and move around the equipment in R&D. Toxins can be rearranged too. The trash room is for storage and deliveries. It’s also fairly tucked away in a busy department.
Shooting range can be used to test guns that, when used in such close proximity, can hurt you. The bomb range has a massive weird thing with windows and targets just floating there, also it's misshaped for no really good reason. You aren't always prioritizing function, sometimes you also want it to be nice to move around in and nice to look at. Yours isn't.
JackHunt wrote:Reworked it and freed up a lot of space, QM is in the top corner now and it looks much better. Random plating outside is just for flavor. Hardly anyone will see it. It’s rough now but why is the mail room the worst thing you’ve seen in your life? You got three incoming disposals from three departments, three conveyors to sort on and one output. I’ll try rearranging to conveyors nicer. I have an idea for the layout.
For flavor, consider making the plating bumpy, like it's a bit of broken garbage instead of intentional. Did I say the mail room was the worst thing? It's incredibly convoluted and annoying to use, but what I meant was bad was the room where all mail sorting is done in the pipes. That's annoying. Also, please give it a desk.
JackHunt wrote:The bar is a bit small. I was trying a more open look. Why are the doors important? The kitchen is also small, I agree. Botany works fine in my experience. There’s always a table by the trays and the oddness of it doesn’t stop you from being efficient. I’ve moved some of the equipment around. Gibber is next to a public hall. It’s hard to break in there and not get caught. On box you can always slink away into maintence. What’s wrong with the chapel? The library got redone. Looks better now.
I don't like an open look, I enjoy the diner look of Box, and the hole-in-the-wall look of Meta, but not the open look of asteroid. Sorry. The doors are ugly and not really needed. Botany may work "fine", but seriously, look at Meta's botany. That's incredibly organized and like the peak of efficiency. It works spectacularly, yours most definitely doesn't. A botany needs, more than anything, organization so you know what you're doing. The public hall that the gibber is near is also the dorms, where no one ever goes. It will be easy to break in.
The chapel is incredibly small and not really fit to be called a "church" area. For real. Thanks for working on the library, I love a good library.
JackHunt wrote:I was going for labyrinthine actually. It’s the place where the shady shit goes down and in an otherwise open station provides a lot of nooks and crannies. Besides who uses dorms? ERPers and Antags. It’s like perfect for them. The 2x2 tiles are a picnic blanket… . The holodeck, fighting ring and biodome are all part of the fitness section, I feel like they work well together. Escape and Arrivals are pretty transitory. The escape bar is there since it’s a mandatory part of most rounds, you might as well provide *something* while people stand in escape. Bonus points for the bar being pressurized separately.
Look at Efficiency Station 3's dorms. It's tucked away, small, dank, and barely lit. When I say small, I mean it's completely puny. You don't need a labyrinthine and ugly dorms to serve that purpose, you just need to put it in the right place and give it the right atmosphere. The picnic blanket is just ugly, remove it please. I know that all three being near eachother work well together, but their placement as just a single node in the corner makes it look like it was lazily thrown there.
Just put arcade machines or, wow, an actual arcade room with funky carpets there! That would be really dope.
JackHunt wrote:It’s too long? Not enough hiding spots? Too linear? Not linear enough? I tried the twisting and turning maint as a contrast to the huge open and departments. I’ve been tweaking it but most areas have tons to do in them and plenty of alternate routes. I know it’s not square but that’s not actually a gameplay problem. In fact there is a degree of skill navigating the twists and turns while being chased. Hell to walk through is exactly what maintenance is. Pipes and shit, grilles, turns, twists. It’s not designed to be easy and boring to walkthrough like the main halls. I’ve since added some more areas and loops as well for variety.
It's an absolute travesty. It's bulbous, unnatural, it doesn't look like what the hull of a space station should look like. It's just as open as the departments, and it has no particularly interesting commodities. You need to shave it down so it does the most with the bare minimum, not the bare minimum with the most. I could care less for if maint is square, Metastation's is more like weird cracks going through the station and I love that. What matters is aesthetics. Maintenance doesn't need to be easy to walk through, but it should be interesting.
JackHunt wrote:I’m already doing some other maps on the side. I’d like to see some more testing with this before I throw it away. More generally I’d also like some more feedback if anyone else wants to rip it apart like allura did.
It's fine if you just want to get experience mapping, but I'm saying that I would genuinely be disgusted to see this map added to the codebase. I think you should take your ideas and apply them in a more concise, concentrated way. This map is just a bunch of random ideas of an optimistic, budding mapper whose talent increased gradually, causing nice areas like the biodome but hideous areas like medbay. You need to start over so the map is consistent.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #118777

The whole point of seperating Med and Sci was to separate traffic. Every single section of the main corridor has something interesting on it. This ensures that it doesn't become psuedo-maintence like Box's left wing. I think I'm coming to agree on the vault point, I'll try and better define it. I think I will expand the antechamber, it's a good idea and will be more usable which is nice. On Atmos, I'll rework the pipes to make the distro pumps seperate. I should note that departments like Sec or Med have cutoff valves so if there is Plasma in the vents Medbay will hopefully be one of the last areas effected. I'll see what I can do about security. This'll hopefully give the crew a chance to do something once the plasma is already in the distro. Medbay has a variety of interesting weak spots. Chemistry has a backdoor, there's a delivery opening going in the laundry room, a cryo tube room with all sorts of antag possibilities, and a backdoor that isn't used as much. That being said I agree with the lack of character point but I think that efficiency and ease of navigation make medbay practical. You need to be able to get from genetics to cryo without much fuss and being able to access every room easily was one of my design goals, especially so rooms like surgery can become more than "the place you go as a ling to complete your debrain objective". I've made the shooting range bigger. The extra appendage on the bomb range is so you can test the total area of your bomb without the range itself being gigantic. I'll rethink the design but I like being able to see exactly how far my bomb reaches. The orgy of sortjunctions is only because I wanted separate disposal loops. Honestly, I can exorcise it fairly easily but I do like the odd bit industrial design madness. It also works well and because of it, all three loops can function independent of one another, unlike box. Botany is getting a rework. Chapel has a bunch of room to grow so it will. I like the idea of an Arcade! I am going to try and make that happen. I'm thinking of expanding bar and cutting into dorms. They'll still be wonky but maybe more of the space will be used better. I think on the whole the organic look of maint is consistent and fine for a space station. It's just a Mon-Calamari Cruiser not a Star Destroyer. Most of the interesting rooms are in the south west. I'll look into taking some of the loops out and replacing them with more interesting rooms and constructions.

I'll leave the .dmm here. There's no picture but it's been mostly small changes so far anyway.
DiscStation.0.8.0.dmm
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #119134

Pirou (655) MrStonedOne: <Miauw> you should testrun some of the new maps in the spriting and mapping section, ESPECIALLY birdboatstation for basil
MrStonedOne They need to be pr'ed, so I can just use that
MrStonedOne because of the whole live tracking from github thing, its not easy to make local changes
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
spainy
Byond Username: Spainish

Post by spainy » #122302

Medbay looks funny. Why is the lobby entrance to the north instead of where the little entrance to the south is? Given that most people will be coming from the south it'd be better for the lobby to be right there instead of making them run up the entire hallway.
JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #122559

That's a really good point. I probably had a reason for putting it up there but I can't remember why now. I'll look into a fix. Alternately I';l make sure to consider that in the map's successor that I'm working on, among other things.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #123858

Small request. May you please add the RD's hardsuit to his office as you have done for the other heads (HoS, CMO, etc)?
The path for the storage unit is "/obj/machinery/suit_storage_unit/rd"