The Tesla Revolver

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

The Tesla Revolver

Post by Drynwyn » #171595

The other day this happened:

"Urist McCMO: "Well I see you have a tesla revolver"
"Urist McCMO: "So uh I'm just gonna stand waaaay over here."

This is good. This is how people should be reacting to science's weapons- "Are you sure that's safe?" rather than "oh sweet smg's gimme dat let's get the valids on".

10/10 good change Kor.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: The Tesla Revolver

Post by Wyzack » #171606

That is a really good point actually. They are experimental, they should be devastatingly powerful but hilariously unstable and prone to all sorts of fun fuck ups.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #172110

I wish RND guns were fully customisable with the effects of certain components (slime cores, organs, mining monster bits, experimental alloys and crystals etc) with insane consequences and insane power that if not fully researched could kill you by surprise and sometimes the price of power just needs to be accepted. Like sure your cobbled together cannon made out of a plasma-uranium alloy powered by the heart of assistant might make a really cool shot but will it only just fling your backwards onto your arse or will it explode? Custom projectiles when?

Then you get garbage like the laser gatling which literally deals 200000 damage to blobs and aliens or something. More things should terrify but good lord you can't even EMP the stupid thing.
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #172112

Incomptinence wrote:I wish RND guns were fully customisable with the effects of certain components (slime cores, organs, mining monster bits, experimental alloys and crystals etc) with insane consequences and insane power that if not fully researched could kill you by surprise and sometimes the price of power just needs to be accepted. Like sure your cobbled together cannon made out of a plasma-uranium alloy powered by the heart of assistant might make a really cool shot but will it only just fling your backwards onto your arse or will it explode? Custom projectiles when?

Then you get garbage like the laser gatling which literally deals 200000 damage to blobs and aliens or something. More things should terrify but good lord you can't even EMP the stupid thing.
I have an idea, make it so that if it gets EMP'd, it blows up on oyur back and deals brute/burn damage to the wearer, possibly crit.
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #172114

Daily reminder that EMP is a garbage game mechanic to balance around because

1) It's rare. Not everyone has a way to get it. Especially talking about blobs, they have a 1/26 chance of having the EMP chem. Not a very good counter.

2) It's AoE. If you do have the EMP and it counters the other guy, they tend to lose without any sort of back and forth. Very boring to be stopped by an EMP.

Hard counters are not fun for either side.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #172115

It's the principle. Energy weapons are meant to be weak to it because they run on power cells, this one isn't on purpose maybe because it doesn't run on an actual power cell. Either way you slice it the guns a turd with or without its the extra step to make it a perfect immutable baby 5000 shots every time no matter what mwah mwah kiss the gun. The AOE means no borgs or energy weapons unless the guy is a borg or you have a ballistic weapon to back and forth will come afterwards as you scrum in melee.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #172116

Kor wrote:Daily reminder that EMP is a garbage game mechanic to balance around because

1) It's rare. Not everyone has a way to get it. Especially talking about blobs, they have a 1/26 chance of having the EMP chem. Not a very good counter.

2) It's AoE. If you do have the EMP and it counters the other guy, they tend to lose without any sort of back and forth. Very boring to be stopped by an EMP.

I see...

Is it possible to code it so that getting knocked down with it equipped hurts you?

Or just add in a overheat system that deals burning damage that increases in damage the more you use it. 1 damage, 2 damage, 3 damage, 4 damage, etc up until it cools down. Or just give it a (very small, like 0.2%) chance per shot to minibomb blow you up like the revolver.

And add my emp thought anyways because laser guns.
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #172117

Or just make EMP not require minerals never delivered so chemists can make emp grenades instead of hellfoam or whatever so something that's in the game working bug free isn't "garbage".
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #172119

I have vague plans for various stages of overheating (burning the user, then setting them on fire, then exploding if you keep pushing).

EMP would be good to have because it's a laser yeah (maybe raise the heat level?) but it can't be the sole counter to it or what "balances" it.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #172123

I want experimental guns to potentially kill you on the spot in various nasty ways yes I don't think EMP is a saving grace for laser guns. Like you built it like after half an hour of research with exotic materials maybe it should collapse into a threshing pile of carbon filaments and nano scale sharp metal basically pureeing part of your body.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #172127

Lets make the experimental guns really experimental. You want something reliable go to cargo and order it. It always bothered me that RnD could produce a well known and established brand of sub machine gun after extensive weapons tech research. Didn't make much sense to me
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #172155

I'd like to see the R&D guns require assembly. So instead of printing off a laser cannon - you print off a Laser cannon barrel, a hyper-cap power cell, a super capacitor, a super microlaser, a modular receiver and add a sheet of plasteel to make a housing for it all.With certain guns requiring very specific components to finish.

Plus add in risks of malfunction like the x-ray laser leaking radiation or the e-crossbow's latent syndicate anti-reverse engineering programming kicking in and misfiring.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #172199

Kor wrote:Daily reminder that EMP is a garbage game mechanic to balance around because

thank you for saying this, i bring this up every time "muh EMP counters it so its perfectly balanced" comes up and nobody else seems to get it but you
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #172214

Just make EVERY RnD gun scary to use

X-ray guns has a 20% chance on changing the user's DNA and shit.
NSFW:
Spoiler:
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access

ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #172406

yackemflam wrote:Just make EVERY RnD gun scary to use

Soooo... Killing the blob, maybe one or two shots to kill it, and Boom, Urist McAssistant suddenly transforms into a monkey?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #172451

ThanatosRa wrote:

Soooo... Killing the blob, maybe one or two shots to kill it, and Boom, Urist McAssistant suddenly transforms into a monkey?
If he`s unlucky, sure. It`s more likely he`ll just get some random bad effect. 1/26 chance monkeyfied X 5 = 1/130 chance.
NSFW:
Spoiler:
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access

ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #173841

yackemflam wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:

If he`s unlucky, sure. It`s more likely he`ll just get some random bad effect. 1/26 chance monkeyfied X 5 = 1/130 chance.
And then he's beaten to death by every other greyshirt,
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #173885

ThanatosRa wrote:
yackemflam wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:

And then he's beaten to death by every other greyshirt,
>Being in LoS of anyone while firing off an x-ray
X-ray vision/thermals + X-ray laser OTP
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #174840

Coming back to this to say.

EMP may not be the best mechanic its rarely used rarely sought outside of forms available at round start so on and so forth.

However it is better mechanic than any of these science sue perfect weapons that have been coded lately.

Like the argument about hard counters being bad is generally they end up with things being strong to face without them, and you basically made unbeatable guns anyway making your shitting on counters utterly empty.

Someone sees you with this tesla revolver and they want you dead you are dead unless you are stupid luck and they are in a straight line ahead of you and you have a taser and the drop on them.

You might as well have made pulse rifles and gryojets available at the protolathe instead of putting lipstick on a pig dressing this up as even slightly fair.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #174842

If you think a gun is "unbeatable" then surely you'd rather see it nerfed then have a niche counter/"weakness"

I mean the stun revolver is already emp vulnerable and clearly you dont believe it to be a good counter.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #174847

Nothing is unbeatable I am just saying it blows the competition out of the water to the extent it is the sort of joke a wizard would summon.
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #174850

Kor you said yourself that emp's shouldn't be the only counter for a strong energy weapon.
NSFW:
Spoiler:
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #174851

Reflective metal baseball bats for hitting back lasers when?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #174884

People keep forgetting xenobiology can get EMP easily
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #174898

>countering power-mad RD lunatics with more power mad science department lunatics

do you not see the issue here
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #174904

Yeah and traitors can also get a emp kit
What about sec/the rest of the station
For once I actually agree with SAC
NSFW:
Spoiler:
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #174914

yackemflam wrote:Kor you said yourself that emp's shouldn't be the only counter for a strong energy weapon.
I know, and I just said it again.