2 shot taser

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

2 shot taser

Post by CPTANT » #165202

Apparently already reverted again, but I want to hear some actual feedback on the idea.

Too strong? Too weak? What could be done to improve the concept?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: 2 shot taser

Post by Steelpoint » #165206

The problem with the two shot Taser is that it wildly varies in its effectiveness.

It can be useful against someone brandishing their weapon, but that's it. It barely has a effect on someone's movement speed thus making it very viable for them to run away, and it has no effect on many antagonists that are not as relient on keeping what's in their hand, such as Wizards, Nuke Ops, Shadowlings or in fact anyone who is smart enough to holster whatever is in their hand quick enough.

If the goal here is to replicate Goonstation's style of stunning then you need to make being hit by a Taser a very negative thing to start with.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #165207

I don't see how people can think it's a buff, it's hard enough to land one shot on some shitter assistant running and juking at full speed, nevermind two shots
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #165208

Slowdown on the first hit can be easily increased.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #165209

Isn't the whole point of the Taser vs Disabler being that the Taser is meant to be used on someone who will stand and fight, as it's a limited range and slow(ish) fire rate, where as the disabler is meant to be used on people looking to flee, as it's range extends beyond the screen and slows your target down if it hits them, making them easier to catch?
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #165246

It was an unneeded change
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #165307

i was juking the shit out of tasers, even if i was hit directly i'd skedaddle and just scoop up my lost weapon a few seconds later after causing a distraction elsewhere
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #165315

>Too strong? Too weak? What could be done to improve the concept?

give it two modes: one that has more cooldown, less ammo, and less range but stuns in one hit, and one that has more ammo, more range, and less cooldown but takes multiple hits
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #165320

Too weak. Not necessarily an unneeded change. If the lethal mode was more than just a peashooter it would have had actual legitimacy rather than just simply being a nerf.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #165460

Leave the two hit taser as it was, buff the laser considerably - if they run they deserve to get shot in the back with lethals.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #165463

But it also makes AI unable to let anyone dispense tasers in good faith, since >Giving crew lethal weapons
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #165469

PKPenguin321 wrote:>Too strong? Too weak? What could be done to improve the concept?

give it two modes: one that has more cooldown, less ammo, and less range but stuns in one hit, and one that has more ammo, more range, and less cooldown but takes multiple hits
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #165484

How about we stop changing what is decent already
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #165496

Seconded the motion for "stop drastically changing what is already decent".

SS13 still has plenty of big issues to be addressed and thousands of QOL changes that are unequivocal improvements to gameplay.

The taser has been in a great place for balance. You sacrifice ammo, range, projectile visibility, along with front-loading your CC (i.e. if they get shaken up its like nothing happened, compared to stamina damage that cripples you for over a minute) in exchange for a single guaranteed stun that gives you the advantage against all the ballistic weaponry that gets shot at you during Traitor/Ops/Gangs.

The other option is a weapon with more ammo, huge range, harder to dodge, more effective in space (heavy suits amplify stam damage), and a long-lasting CC on top of the stun. It works on hulks too.

As far as SS13 balance goes, this was a great tradeoff that would actually give me pause when deciding which weapon I'd prefer in a situation.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #165501

lzimann wrote:How about we stop changing what is decent already
Then why did we ever move from the classic 10 shot long range taser to what we have now.

The only reasoning why the taser is like it is now is because the implementation of disablers (which were supposed to replace tasers) got half aborted.

It has left the taser is a state of 2 extremes: 1 shot gg no re and beamspam.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #165507

Shaps wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:>Too strong? Too weak? What could be done to improve the concept?

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not
No no, i think he is on to something here. We should make the two modes different colors so we can tell them apart. How about we roll with classic taser yellow for the insta stun and something like a nice cool blue for the multi-shot one. Now it needs a name. I was thinking since it kinda slowly disables the person you hit with it we could call it a disabler. Golly gee we are good at this whole game design thing, i am glad we opted to change what we had in order to make this sweet OC
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #165528

But disabler and stun taser are a really good combo why must you make me hurt, using this different of the taser made the game less fun for me
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #165812

PKPenguin321 wrote:one that has more ammo, more range, and less cooldown but takes multiple hits
This is literally disablers.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #165817

that's the joke
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #165829

callanrockslol wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:one that has more ammo, more range, and less cooldown but takes multiple hits
This is literally disablers.