New New New New New^50 Cult Feedback Thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Re: New New New New New^50 Cult Feedback Thread

Post by Oldman Robustin » #142097

Bottom post of the previous page:

Zilenan91 wrote:There was never a difference for saccing living people before, why would there be now
Yes there was, for most of cult's existence it was preferable to sac the living for guaranteed shards or free rune words.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #142102

What Oldman said, saccing a dead target was usually done when the person capturing them was forced to kill them for one of many reasons, or if the body just happend to be found. Or if you were playing during the period (I don't even know) where you did not need fifty people to sac a target if they were dead.

Personally I can't keep up with what's going on with Cult.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #142107

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:There was never a difference for saccing living people before, why would there be now
Yes there was, for most of cult's existence it was preferable to sac the living for guaranteed shards or free rune words.
That got changed though so that saccing a dead body always gave a shard and words, it's been like that for months now.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #142125

Either give newcult all the runes or let them convert people again.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #142126

Zilenan91 wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:
That got changed though so that saccing a dead body always gave a shard and words, it's been like that for months now.
Cults existed for several years, and it was always better to sac a live body.

By the time "guaranteed shard" was added, free words were removed because you started with all words by that time anyway.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

Seriously though, why the FUCK would anyone think its a good idea to make "Cult Ops" without a single fucking reliable stun. A single officer can stomp a cult base right now just using flashbangs. If you lose your tome you can't get a new one, and your spells are tied to your old tome anyway so security destroying/hiding your tome prevents the cult from getting access to your spells.

You know you've made a good mode when you have 5 antags who have to take down the entire crew and their first priority is securing stunprod material because thats the only fucking thing that lets them do their job, and even then its a suicidal effort once you hit 40+ players unless you've got atrociously bad sec players.

Can we end this trend of letting people just completely gut functioning game modes without the slightest fucking idea of how to replace it with something remotely decent?
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #142129

make stun/veil runes runes (lel) scribe faster. i want to create hallway traps of stun runes and use it to steal people.

also do stun runes detonate when veiled? if not that must be fixed thanks.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #142130

>cult
>functioning game mode

It's core mechanic was so confusing it was scrapped and for months scaling would start you with your objectives finished.

Literally the most challenging part of cult was to get people to stand in a square
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #142131

>implying that isn't hard

>implying cult is easy

no
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #142134

There were so many simple solutions to any of cult's problems

Research was scrapped due to confusion but we got something worse in the form of all words available at roundstart.

The simple solution would be that obtaining X sacrifices/converts would unlock higher tiers of words.

Also consuming the bind talisman rune when invoked would also have put the brakes on the stunpaper factory. Its easy to get lots of stunpaper when you can just draw 4 stun runes around 1 bind rune and spam it for 4 stun papers. Even I wouldn't stuff my backpack with stun talismans if I had to redraw both runes every time.

Instead of little tweaks, some idiot was given the green light to completely gut cult and leave us with this unquestionable shitshow we have today that's going be 200% harder to redeem compared to the previous cult that had spents years experimenting and reaching a good spot in terms of balance.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #142136

Cult isn't gutted. They're just a different antag as a whole, but they are quite weak in the early game and need some buffs.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #142140

Zilenan91 wrote:Cult isn't gutted. They're just a different antag as a whole, but they are quite weak in the early game and need some buffs.
Oldcult was removed when this new shit was added, this new shit wasn't an "update" or a "fix", it is a completely different mode. Oldcult was gutted for this new shit.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #142179

This is not a promise but my gut instinct is that post datum antags, both oldcult and newcult will exist as separate kinds of cults. Nothing's ever really "lost" in git, it's just a matter of working it back in. I gotta say all the huge mode changes in the last few days is gonna make my job harder, but whatever.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #143218

I did not think it was possible to make cult worse, and then I played as new cult.

I'm sorry tk but please don't do this.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #143423

Tsaricide wrote:I did not think it was possible to make cult worse, and then I played as new cult.

I'm sorry tk but please don't do this.
Is it worse than when Sabbat changed a bunch of stuff and left before he finished?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #143604

I was in a cult round today that actually went pretty well, the only problem was that we were unsure of how to actually acquire orbs. Sec was either small or incompetent though so the two officers who attacked us were easily taken care of.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #143605

You acquire orbs for every sacrifice. If you can, sacrifice people rather than shard htem since saccing drops both an orb and a filled soulshard.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #143606

Zilenan91 wrote:You acquire orbs for every sacrifice. If you can, sacrifice people rather than shard htem since saccing drops both an orb and a filled soulshard.
What I meant was that we didn't know how to sacrifice the corpses we had amassed, either the person(s) who had the rune never put it down or we didn't get it, so we just started smacking the corpse pile with our daggers until orbs popped out. Why is it that sometimes the sacrificial taggers will convert a corpse into a pile of bones but other times an orb just appears while the corpse remains intact?
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #144598

This cult is the best thing since sliced bread. I enjoy playing it very much, and it's a welcome improvement over the old one.
Bring back papercult.

onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #144738

Played a round and won.

Never used any of my cult powers really. Stun prod was better.

I felt very exposed the whole time because all of my powers were very clunky/required set up, and any defensive position in ss13 is prone to being bombed/flashbanged etc.

Really having fuckall thats ranged and no flashbang protection is probably the biggest weakness.

Like it more than oldcult though. Had a fun final battle
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #144923

Ricotez wrote:
kazeespada wrote:
Kor wrote:
kazeespada wrote:
3. Narsie having a mortal shell is shit lore.
That has been unofficially true forever though. It's why it's sprited the way it is
Back in the day, that monster used to just claw his way out of the fourth dimension like it was no ones business. All he needed was nine cultists, no stupid shell.
back in the day Nar-Sie was literally an asshole, now only figuratively

tho as much as I like an unfathomable sprite for a thing that should not be, summoning their elder god into a construct does fit cultists a bit more
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #144926

Pretty sure I made saccing living people give more words, or it gave a new word to everyone, or something.

IIRC saccing a dead body only had a chance of giving you a new unknown word, it rolled the dice of the pool of all the words three times, so you had three attempts at getting a new unique word, meaning the more words you had the greater chance of getting a word you already had and the rune gave you a failure message.

Saccing a living person always guareented you were a granted an unknown word

Saccing the sac target gave each of the three cultists three unknown words, i can't remember if it made a difference between them being alive or not.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144928

Yeah I think that got changed at some point, like I said above.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #144933

Kor wrote:>cult
>functioning game mode

It's core mechanic was so confusing it was scrapped and for months scaling would start you with your objectives finished.

Literally the most challenging part of cult was to get people to stand in a square
Actually wasn't due to scaling.

The free objective bug was caused by the sac target picking from the list of mobs instead of players, so it was picking the dead clowns on the crashed clown shuttle - which had no mind datum so it bugged out.

Oldman Robustin wrote: The simple solution would be that obtaining X sacrifices/converts would unlock higher tiers of words.
Something you would've had if someone hadn't thrown an autistic shitfit.
Last edited by Malkevin on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #144961

After playing a few cult rounds, I've came to a conclusion that it needs either a reliable stun or reliable anti-stun. Even shadowling's thralls have a good stun, but a cultist vs sec is virtually the same thing as a regular assistant vs sec.
Bring back papercult.

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #144963

Bring back stun talisman and give the cultists all the runes at round start. Literally every cult round I've seen has had the cultists go "Well we don't have this ~ONE IMPORTANT RUNE~ so we might as well kill ourselves." after someone dies.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #144978

InsaneHyena wrote:After playing a few cult rounds, I've came to a conclusion that it needs either a reliable stun or reliable anti-stun. Even shadowling's thralls have a good stun, but a cultist vs sec is virtually the same thing as a regular assistant vs sec.
Yeah pretty much.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #145054

InsaneHyena wrote:After playing a few cult rounds, I've came to a conclusion that it needs either a reliable stun or reliable anti-stun. Even shadowling's thralls have a good stun, but a cultist vs sec is virtually the same thing as a regular assistant vs sec.

Yeah they need some help early game, cultists have some really serious problems in high pop. In lowpop they tend to steamroll. I think in highpop (60+) they should have the stun landmine rune and summon armaments at roundstart on all of them.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #145064

New new new new new cult fucking sucks. A good cult would be revert to last cult but make it one man convert.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #145284

So back to old old cult? I approve.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #145288

Tk is a maintainer, I doubt he'd ever let it get merged. I wouldn't either, I'd fight a nigga in the streets if he tries to do it, anything is better than oldcult.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #145294

I've always said cult should've been reverted to "Two starting words" cult with sadbutt's tome UI change (which was the ONLY good thing he changed) merged into it.

Seemed to be the version that most people had fun with because it lacked the hour of boredom research caused and didn't start instantly as a slaughter fest like sac cult did.

Maybe someone should bring it back as a Classic Cult mode.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #145329

@Malk

Your solution was only moderately worse than the monstrosity that has been cooked up here.

Tiered runes would've been better than gutting research altogether, but I think the best solution (as opposed to the simple solution) would have been to simply make the research process more intuitive to new players. Experts like me mastered it by literally memorizing the color and style of all functional runes so I would instantly know if I had correctly guessed a word.

That part sucked. The research process itself was an interesting minigame where you had to choose which word to test (since you could only effectively test words that mixed with the starting words) and then proceed in an order that made sense, i.e. you could only test for 'destroy' once you had discovered 'technology' and 'other' (just an hypo, not sure what words you actually needed). Focusing on the 'logic game' aspect of the research and less on the 'savant-tier memorization of runes' would have been great. Example: Drawing a proper rune would give you a short message saying "You've seen this rune before in your studies, its a blood boil rune!", so that research didn't require actual arcane knowledge to conduct.

But instead of having a unique and interesting aspect of cult that helped balance their progression, you have a bunch of runes hardcoded to books - which is completely awful.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #145331

Researched worked as long as the other two cultists weren't total gimps.

Most of the time they were total gimps.

re: tiered research - see my earlier reply.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #147851

Return cult 2016. I don't care which, I non-ironically like every version of the cult and want it back on the rotation.
Bring back papercult.

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147966

Newcult isn't good. It's not a mode that has ever really been finished and it very clearly has a lot of flaws. It's certainly better than any other derivative that has been put on the server though.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #150337

Now that cult is back on rotation, give cult it's stun papers back, please. The cult is absolutely defenseless without them.
Bring back papercult.

Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #150493

InsaneHyena wrote:Now that cult is back on rotation, give cult it's stun papers back, please. The cult is absolutely defenseless without them.
Which cult is back?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #150519

Luke Cox wrote:
InsaneHyena wrote:Now that cult is back on rotation, give cult it's stun papers back, please. The cult is absolutely defenseless without them.
Which cult is back?
since there has been no PRs to revert newcult, probably newcult
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #150538

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
Which cult is back?
since there has been no PRs to revert newcult, probably newcult
Absolutely disgusting