Holoparasites

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Holoparasites

Post by TheNightingale » #126545

Holoparasites. 12 TC for a summoned creature that teleports to you and helps you out in combat. They can fight your enemies, heal you, or set people on fire, depending on which type you choose. Damage the holoparasite takes is transferred to the owner, and if the owner dies, so does the holoparasite.

The problem is, they're really powerful, especially for 12 TC. They have counters, sure, but at the moment, they pack more bang for their... crystal... than any other traitor item (except possibly the emag).

Solutions?
metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Re: Holoparasites

Post by metacide » #126560

Increase TC cost to 14 or 16?

Maybe also a clear link between the parasite and the traitor when it's active, perhaps have the traitor change hue to match the parasite?

I'm not sure if there's already dramatic big red text to say who it appears from or not, but that too if not.
Last edited by metacide on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #126561

We already have a thread for this!!!
(They are incredibly cost efficient if you have a half decent partner)
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #126562

metacide wrote:Increase TC cost to 14 or 16?
私は完璧
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #126566

I can increase their cost to 14 but I'm not sure how that would make them more or less balanced.

What item can the traitor buy now with 8tc that makes them too strong that they wouldnt be able to buy at 14-16?

At 16 though the traitor wouldnt have much room for utility gear to do things other than combat, and as far as combat goes they are pretty terrible against any ranged weapons. They are also completely incapable of dealing with shields and armour. So basically any member of security will have a massive advantage against them.

Also I already have a nerf PR up. Id prefer them to be weaker than make a traitor trade all their TC to watch another player fight for them, especially when there is a good chance the other player will be godawful.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #126573

Kor wrote:I can increase their cost to 14 but I'm not sure how that would make them more or less balanced.

What item can the traitor buy now with 8tc that makes them too strong that they wouldnt be able to buy at 14-16?

At 16 though the traitor wouldnt have much room for utility gear to do things other than combat, and as far as combat goes they are pretty terrible against any ranged weapons. They are also completely incapable of dealing with shields and armour. So basically any member of security will have a massive advantage against them.

Also I already have a nerf PR up. Id prefer them to be weaker than make a traitor trade all their TC to watch another player fight for them, especially when there is a good chance the other player will be godawful.
The only issue is that nobody besides the captain, hop, HoS, and warden will have lethal ranged weapons at round start.
Meaning that an officer who runs into a holo parasite has no option but to retreat, since stuns are completely impotent against traitors with holoparasites.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #126575

I have killed multiple people with holoparasites with nothing but a water bottle or some sort of stun.
The correct way to deal with them is to completely ignore the holoparasite and kill the user whilst dragging them.
A simple case of adapting to a threat.
I play Boris Pepper.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #126621

you can't even tell who their master is unless you actually see them pop out of them - then there is the fact that holoparasites are fast, and can't be slowed or stunned.

Chaos parasites set people on fire by TOUCHING THEM, they don't evenneed to click, just run around and everyone you run into is roasted.

The other day on birdboat, because of a spider outbreak like 20 people were in medbay. Holoparasite comes in, sets fucking everyone on fire, and 90% of the people die.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #126665

The way to nerf/somewhat buff holoparasites would be to make them less combat oriented, but far more utility oriented. Think about it. 99% of traitor items you can buy are sheer utility, emags, toolboxes, noslips, encryption keys, binary keys, C4... almost none of them can be used to kill people.

That's probably why I like the bomb parasite a lot. It doesn't fight, it just messes with people and gives its owner a huge edge in fights because it nearly one shot crits people with said bombs, but doesn't out right kill them.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #126741

TechnoAlchemist wrote:
Kor wrote:I can increase their cost to 14 but I'm not sure how that would make them more or less balanced.

The only issue is that nobody besides the captain, hop, HoS, and warden will have lethal ranged weapons at round start.
Meaning that an officer who runs into a holo parasite has no option but to retreat, since stuns are completely impotent against traitors with holoparasites.
I agree thats an issue yeah. However that issue wont really be fixed by making them cost slightly more.

A growing number of things that are stun proof is why I made that post about spreading lethals out from the armoury but it turned into autorifles while I was gone.

Another solution would be making them stunnable (force recall if tased) but I dont really want a taser to be the perfect response to every problem.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #126756

They're a god awful new meta item.

Why god awful? Because nothing compares to it. It's second to none.

Change the price to 16 or more telecrystals. I'd even go as far as 20, but I'll say 18.

Why?
Put it this way, why would you want someone with an unstunnable, super utility, stealthy, dangerous murder and killing machine at round start?

Think of it as someone starting off with a fucking golem that can hide and shit, at roundstart.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #126758

I mean I know theyre strong but I think youre exaggerating a bit.

The melee potential of every single one of them is objectively worse than the 2tc dagger.

All of them basically can not hurt you once you grab a riot shield/armour.

The most powerful one (healing) can drag you (slowly) away spamming heal, but thats just an inferior version of a lings powers (of which they still have 6 points to spend).

The ones with "super utility" dont really work well as killing machines either.

20tc for one would be a horrible deal.
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #126759

You're not the only one to say stuff like "second to known" either someone seriously argued with me that a single parasite is stronger than a subverted AI+cyborgs.

Will probably bump them to 14 though.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126855

Adrenal implants
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #126859

> People actually think holoparasites are good.

They're just the new meme item. That second person you purchase for 12 TC? Unreliable, you could get any old chucklefuck from obs, and they probably won't do what you want. Plus, they easily kill you by accident.

Holoparasites have several glaring weaknesses. They're slow and have to close distance to do anything, they block the master's LoF due to being melee, making you kill yourself. They give you two points of weakness instead of only one, and one of them cannot dodge because they're as slow as a goddamn jugg. They prevent you from purchasing any other more useful equipment. In fact I've found the easiest way to do away with any holoparasite is to just stun the master and drag them away while beating them to death - it's basically impossible for the slow stand to catch up with you. Top that up with unreliability, and I won't touch them with a ten foot pole. I've tried using them and, honestly, they're really really blase compared to any other piece of equipment (I'd rather buy 12 soap than a holoparasite), even if support has teleportation for !FUN!. If anything, they're overpriced.

Chaos is the only one that might be OP.

Git gud.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126868

Amelius wrote:> People actually think holoparasites are good.

They're just the new meme item. That second person you purchase for 12 TC? Unreliable, you could get any old chucklefuck from obs, and they probably won't do what you want. Plus, they easily kill you by accident.

Holoparasites have several glaring weaknesses. They're slow and have to close distance to do anything, they block the master's LoF due to being melee, making you kill yourself. They give you two points of weakness instead of only one, and one of them cannot dodge because they're as slow as a goddamn jugg. They prevent you from purchasing any other more useful equipment. In fact I've found the easiest way to do away with any holoparasite is to just stun the master and drag them away while beating them to death - it's basically impossible for the slow stand to catch up with you. Top that up with unreliability, and I won't touch them with a ten foot pole. I've tried using them and, honestly, they're really really blase compared to any other piece of equipment (I'd rather buy 12 soap than a holoparasite), even if support has teleportation for !FUN!. If anything, they're overpriced.

Chaos is the only one that might be OP.

Git gud.
In response to the "Can't catch up", only unrobust idiots will try, instead of popping out of his face, tanking the hit, and memeing you until you're slow
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #126870

Oh so like any weapon drawn out in close quarters then. How different.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #126872

>trying to out run a stand by dragging the dude that it can teleport to infinitely
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #126882

lumipharon wrote:>trying to out run a stand by dragging the dude that it can teleport to infinitely
Ive watched this work multiple times. I've seen Mekhi alone do it 2-3 times. There is the slightest delay in the stand moving again/getting its camera set and you can easily outrun it if you keep moving.
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #126884

Also I pretty much agree with everything Amelius said to the point where I really dont have a desire to buy them personally anymore. Trying to coordinate with the other player is a huge pain and the healing type is the only one with much room for error. I always end up feeling I'd have been better off buying an ebow or something.

Hell the most reliable way I see them used is the user saying to wait till he stuns to come out and they're just a really shitty esword at that point.

Still gonna nerf the chaos ones infinite firestacks because that shit is legitimately unfair though.

I still dont know what to do about them being confusing/immune to a normal officers weapons but utterly worthless against an armory reaponse though.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #126919

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:In response to the "Can't catch up", only unrobust idiots will try, instead of popping out of his face, tanking the hit, and memeing you until you're slow
They can't. There's a delay in the camera when they summon themselves which makes that very difficult to hit you, and even then there's no ezbutton for summoning yourself, you have to hit a button on the top right, then hit the center of the screen. That's more than enough time to make enough distance that it's irrelevant. Try it sometime.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #126920

Kor wrote:I still dont know what to do about them being confusing/immune to a normal officers weapons but utterly worthless against an armory reaponse though.
Make them stunnable but just as fast as a human. Might be cool. You get two fighters at the cost of two points of weakness and unreliability. That seems more balanced.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126922

I just don't understand the purpose of Holoparasites.

On one hand they are pathetically weak against anyone with a ranged lethal fire arm, they're liable to end up killing their host and they're too ineffective to do anything. Yet against anyone without that they can well, but I must question why bother wasting all your TC's on what can be summed up as a expensive player controlled energy sword.

The fact your relying on another player to be competent, on a game that is notorious for incompetency, is really the thing that makes me question as to why anyone sane would take a Holoparasite.

Maybe my opinion is skewed since if I run into a HPara I just pull out my gun and kill two birds with one stone.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #126937

Kor wrote:I still dont know what to do about them being confusing/immune to a normal officers weapons but utterly worthless against an armory reaponse though.
Stamina damage a holoparasite takes transfers to its owner.?
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #126957

Amelius wrote:
Make them stunnable but just as fast as a human. Might be cool. You get two fighters at the cost of two points of weakness and unreliability. That seems more balanced.
They already have a horrible time vs laserguns, itd just be a suicide button if they were weak to disabler spam as well. Its not even really 2 fighters if they share a healtj/stun pool.

@Steelpoint its fun to have a buddy I think, and they can definitely be strong if two robust players get paired. I mean youre still probably better off spending 2tc on the headset but still.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #127003

I'm the type of guy who uses the support parasite due to how much utility it has. It can heal you up after a fight and punch people in the face during one, so it has flexibility where others do not. I've never thought any of them were glaringly OP, just a bit too powerful for their cost. It's a slightly less damaging energy sword that heals you and can teleport you. It's good.

I've never personally seen the Chaos parasite, and that seems insane and should be nerfed.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #130044

i just got out of a round where a holoparasite touched me ONCE and walked away, but it still took FOUR GODDAMN ROLLS to extinguish myself. the other ones seem ok from my experience but fire parasites need a /massive/ nerf
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #130046

Deitus wrote:i just got out of a round where a holoparasite touched me ONCE and walked away, but it still took FOUR GODDAMN ROLLS to extinguish myself. the other ones seem ok from my experience but fire parasites need a /massive/ nerf
I've had a nerf PR up for the fire parasites for ~12 days now that fixes the infinite firestacking
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #130049

Parasite needs to be more heavily tied to the summoner, with Disablers/Tasers/Stun Baton hits stunning the traitor. Making the sprite phase out or randomly teleport (as reactive armor) when the traitor is stunned would be one way to help balance them out a bit. That or the traitor being stunned/incapped would weaken the sprite itself.

I still find the things only serve to murderbone and ease of access when the garden vareity can punch down a wall. Its basically impossible to survive one as a regular crew, even if there are several of you working against the parasite, you wont do enough damage and most traitors just stock up on healing meds and keep topping off.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #130056

Davidchan wrote:Parasite needs to be more heavily tied to the summoner, with Disablers/Tasers/Stun Baton hits stunning the traitor. Making the sprite phase out or randomly teleport (as reactive armor) when the traitor is stunned would be one way to help balance them out a bit. That or the traitor being stunned/incapped would weaken the sprite itself.

I still find the things only serve to murderbone and ease of access when the garden vareity can punch down a wall. Its basically impossible to survive one as a regular crew, even if there are several of you working against the parasite, you wont do enough damage and most traitors just stock up on healing meds and keep topping off.
They'd be completely awful if they could get tased and it stunned both of them.

You'd just be doubling the hitbox of your character.

I don't know quite what to do about them being so melee resistant but so vulnerable to ranged weapons, but if you're normal crew you should just run away. Normal crew will usually die horribly vs wizards, changelings, traitors with adrenal, etc as well.

I often see normal crew kill them by stunning/dragging the user though.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #130063

Maybe its just the only parasite type i've fought against but I absolutely could not outrun it, and once he landed a single punch I was slow enough that it didn't matter anymore. Is one of them considerably faster than the others?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #130065

>Basically impossible to survive

Step 1: Hit the parasite

Repeat step 1 until it dies.

Or, for advanced players

Step 1: Hit the host

Repeat step 1 until it dies.

It's a shitload of fun to murderbone with a stun source and a parasite, but it's not OP. Just GIT GUD.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #130079

The host is auctally more vulnerble when their holoparasite is out

2x the chance to damage the host
2x the chance to get hit
The future is horrible!
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #130091

just to add my cents; bombing the station with a support holoparasite is immensely easier than doing it on my own. In fact that's why I'm kinda hoping they don't get nerfed too hard. But imo having a support holoparasite is easily worth 20tc to the aspiring mad bomber.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #130093

I utterly love these things, but maybe they should have a weakness to emp (just for stunning, not to cause damage)? I mean, they ARE machines, right?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #130112

Not really. They're NANOBOTS, SON combined with a organic base or something.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #130113

Danowar wrote:I utterly love these things, but maybe they should have a weakness to emp (just for stunning, not to cause damage)? I mean, they ARE machines, right?
A) It wouldn't really help with the balance concerns people have. Anyone with armory access already easily kills parasites, and anyone without armory access likely won't have an EMP. I think only chemists (who need uranium?) and xenobiologists can get them otherwise and they rarely ever build those things.

B) I don't like EMP as a counter/balancing mechanism, because of the above mentioned rarity, and the fact that it's an AoE. "Lose if you don't have EMP, autowin if you have EMP" isn't much fun for either party.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #130115

What if the holoparasite was immune to stuns... but still took stamina damage (at half the rate of humans)? Suddenly, an Officer isn't completely defenseless against them, but still needs to try pretty hard (read: disabler it six times).
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #130117

Kor wrote:They'd be completely awful if they could get tased and it stunned both of them.

You'd just be doubling the hitbox of your character.
You could leave the parasite immune to disabling/stuns, just have it transfer to the host. So even though the host would fall on the floor, the parasite would still be able to continue fighting. This could also greatly help security to figure out who the host is in larger groups.

I don't like the idea of gibbing the parasite host when dying. The round is usually over for the user when he dies anyway, seems like this would just annoy the few people who actually bother with RP when they get arrested(and revived in this case) by sec.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #130141

Kor wrote:
Danowar wrote:I utterly love these things, but maybe they should have a weakness to emp (just for stunning, not to cause damage)? I mean, they ARE machines, right?
A) It wouldn't really help with the balance concerns people have. Anyone with armory access already easily kills parasites, and anyone without armory access likely won't have an EMP. I think only chemists (who need uranium?) and xenobiologists can get them otherwise and they rarely ever build those things.

B) I don't like EMP as a counter/balancing mechanism, because of the above mentioned rarity, and the fact that it's an AoE. "Lose if you don't have EMP, autowin if you have EMP" isn't much fun for either party.
Because of the uranium requirement it's actually easier to get emps as a botanist than a chemist because all miners are degenerates.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #130144

Just make it that stunning/stamina damage lowers the movement speed of the parasite to around 50% of its original movement speed, but does note affect the host.

This makes non-lethal weaponry at least somewhat useful in slowing down a parasite without crippling it or the host
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #130149

Moving at 50% of move speed is crippling though.

Better idea, go to the armory and get the biggest scariest laser available, shoot them dead.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #130176

They shift the tator paradigm too much, they need to cost all the tc's. The wompwomp guy is ridiculous, it can kill people in seconds, and takes no damage.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #130180

As long as Chaos gets fixed I don't see a reason to do anything other than tweak them.

Any of the comparisons of other items vs. Holoparasites is probably a reflection of other items being underpowered/overcosted.

Holoparasites were the desperately needed safety net for unrobust traitors (generally a majority of players) after parapens were removed and ebows were made more skill-oriented. Far too many traitors would flop and get rekt within minutes if they tried to go hostile, leading to many traitor rounds feeling like pseudo-extended. I pushed hard for traitor buffs a few months ago and this is something that is a decent solution for some of their woes.

Good players can still get creative with certain holoparasites while unrobust players can use them as a crutch to project some kind of threat even though they couldn't ever win a fight on their own.

Want to kill one? Just get your hands on a laser, or bring a heavy melee weapon down on the host. I've seen spearsistants destroy parasite hosts if they're able to land the knockdown or knockout.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #130274

Yeah, parasites don't actually do anything if you're robust yourself since you know a lot of ways to kill people even without TCs. Parasites solely exist to make newer/more unrobust players feel good about murderboning. Though, perhaps this is a bad thing. I mean, I'm all for a good murderbone every once in a while, but when somebody spawns a mobile esword that breaks walls EVERY round, it gets really tiresome. As a player I would really like there to be more ways for traitors to do non-murderous things that harm the station because currently holoparasites make normal crewmembers irrelevant outside of RnG, which is really shit.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #130501

thats a broad generalization to make boo boo

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #130538

There isn't a hard cap on robustness. I'm pretty robust, and the last time I was traitor I got a parasite and dunked all of security with them.

It was a shitload of fun. I taze people, the standard parasite HONKHONKHONKs them into oblivion.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #130667

A holo and any stun is pretty much GG to anything you catch.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #130949

Syringe gun with lethal syringe GG NO RE
The future is horrible!
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #130973

After the last few rounds I played or observed, I'm more convinced than ever that holos need a serious nerf or change.

1) Stuns and non-damaging effects on the parasite should transfer to the owner. No question about it, the stun immune just makes it so the parasite can shield its owner from stuns allowing them to get away easily.

2) Remove parasite dragging. The abuse here is insane. Parasites move faster than normal human mobs anyways, the 3 hit crit followed by them grabbing the victim and dragging them away while slapping them is retarded. Its worse than Xenos and EVERYONE bitches about that. Flip side is if the owner goes into crit/stunned/cant stand then the parasite drags them and fucks off towards medical. There is no way to counter this especially when the parasite is faster and stronger than human.

3) The drawbacks still feel nonexsistant. Unless its a laser squad coming for the tator getting his valids, there is nothing else on the station that can even stand up to him. I literally watched a parasite rip through zombies last night and the sci trator didn't even seemed damage after going through half a dozen mobs without even having a gun. He might have had a first aid kit or hug box, but that only definitely would not out heal any damage the zombies would have done to him if he had just gone at them with an e sword. And he gets a constantly stimmed e sword wielding buddy that deals way more damage per click than anybody else can produce in melee. They can smash down walls to grant easy access to the armory, also known as the only thing that can stop parasites, and as far as I know Ion blasts and emps have no effect on these things, even though they utterly rape borgs and other synthetic creatures like drones and swarmers.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.