Armory re-mapping and autorifle removal

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Armory re-mapping and autorifle removal

Post by Steelpoint » #125135

Bottom post of the previous page:

Doing that is on my round start to do list along side ordering some loyalty firing pins and a plasma cutter from RnD.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #125173

They're quite useful during Gang as well.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #125174

Steelpoint wrote:Doing that is on my round start to do list along side ordering some loyalty firing pins and a plasma cutter from RnD.
It would make you my favorite HoS if you supported Science enough to let us do that. I will never forget the day Xhuis removed autorifles from the armory, and the Comdom with his Sec buddies stormed cargo to get autorifles, ignoring me when I, as the RD, told them that I had SABR guns, AND that I could provide alt ammo for their weak little pop-rifles.

To this day, it utterly baffles me how some Sec players absolutely refuse to get or even ask Science for upgrades or even ammo.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #125179

Gun Hog wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Doing that is on my round start to do list along side ordering some loyalty firing pins and a plasma cutter from RnD.
It would make you my favorite HoS if you supported Science enough to let us do that. I will never forget the day Xhuis removed autorifles from the armory, and the Comdom with his Sec buddies stormed cargo to get autorifles, ignoring me when I, as the RD, told them that I had SABR guns, AND that I could provide alt ammo for their weak little pop-rifles.

To this day, it utterly baffles me how some Sec players absolutely refuse to get or even ask Science for upgrades or even ammo.
getting stuff from science as sec requires a couple of things:

1. Someone to actually be there.
2. someone got research levels up
3. there is enough material to print stuff
4. The scientists to not be assholes.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #125181

I tend to have trouble with number four. I've had RDs start trying to baton me to death for asking for better drills as a miner. All I'm gonna say is any number of people trying to fight miners in melee is a bad idea.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #125186

research is second only to medbay for being a den of scum and villainy when you have actual need to break the big guns out.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #125195

Oh yeah. I can't tell you how many times I've been syringed by chemists for trying to self serve myself when there's a horrible disease walking around.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #125216

Perhaps you should come to the desk and ask, and not break into places and take stuff as if you were a clown?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #125224

I tend to react violently to people breaking into R&D because it takes 5 seconds for a chucklefuck to print two boh's and fuck the entire station.
Seriously, the amount of time people have done this is mind numbingly retarded.

Edit: And even if it's a non antag, if BoH's get out into the public, all an antag needs to do is kill a person or two, to secure two and do the same thing.
If Macros have shown us anything, people will happy gib themselves to fuck people over.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #125234

lumipharon wrote:And even if it's a non antag, if BoH's get out into the public, all an antag needs to do is kill a person or two, to secure two and do the same thing.
If Macros have shown us anything, people will happy gib themselves to fuck people over.
I can confirm that I am guilty of this behavior, and Paprika's nerf to ensure the attacker is gibbed in a BoH singularity has not stopped me doing it. (Only stopped me doing it more than ONCE) It is immensely satisfying, especially if I manage to take out major infrastructure such as the gravity generator, or a large group of people, especially the shuttle.

I try to be nice and calm as much as I can as RD. At first, I will talk to the intruder and tell him to leave. Next, I will simply try to drag him outside. If he refuses, then I will bring out the baton. If I have not been outrobusted at this point, then I will escalate using whatever items I have on me at the time. The RD console serves three machines, and can only do one task at a time. It is annoying enough to try and use it when another Scientist is doing the same - I do not need to put up with the dang Clown thinking he is entitled to everything holding up my department as well.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #125235

Gun Hog wrote:Perhaps you should come to the desk and ask, and not break into places and take stuff as if you were a clown?

Oh man it's not like I walk in there with a spear in my gut every other round, bleeding out.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #125251

A reminder that now the tactical gear section is gone on Box, Security doesn't have access to bulletproof armour or helmets either. We need a revert on the removal or something.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125256

There are pr(s) up to fix the armoury.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #125290

Not anymore.

I'll look into a PR to revert the armouy to its pre-rifle state, since unless we re add the rifles (I ain't going into that) then there's no reason for the armoury to not return to its original state.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #125399

As much shit as I gave the rifles it's still a guilty pleasure using them on meta. I'm gonna miss having 300 rounds in my bag as HoS.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #125402

On the topic of rifles, whenever I'm carrying one there's a "toggle fire mode" button in the top-left, which doesn't seem to do anything. Is it supposed to be burst-fire or something?
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #125433

TheNightingale wrote:On the topic of rifles, whenever I'm carrying one there's a "toggle fire mode" button in the top-left, which doesn't seem to do anything. Is it supposed to be burst-fire or something?
They used to, it got removed cause balance.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #125489

CPTANT wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:

getting stuff from science as sec requires a couple of things:

1. Someone to actually be there.
2. someone got research levels up
3. there is enough material to print stuff
4. The scientists to not be assholes.
i like to get stun revolvers if i can, they're boss.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #125506

Wouldn't it be more logical just to make the sec rifles harder to get to?

Requiring a Captain and HOS to swipe their ID at the same time would limit how often they get opened.

Because in the case of nuke ops (When auto-rifles are met with a even combat threat) the captain would most likely be dead already.

A good way to nerf something, but keep it the same, is to make it unavalible when its needed the most - Coder 101
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #125507

They're already hard to get to - you need Armory access for the tactical gear button, so you can't just hack in.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #125510

This change makes literally no difference because most sec players now immediately order rifles at round start on box.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #125522

Tornadium wrote:This change makes literally no difference because most sec players now immediately order rifles at round start on box.
Well I would say its a good thing that cargo actually has something to do again.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125530

Tornadium wrote:This change makes literally no difference because most sec players now immediately order rifles at round start on box.
Wew lad, it's exactly what I said should be the case from the start, thanks for reaffirming my position.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #125813

Your position is that the players want the rifles and so they order them every round?

That's kinda pretty self explanatory right?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #125818

The change makes a significant difference in low pop when there is very little sec, so when the armory gets looted less firepower is stolen.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125837

Tornadium wrote:Your position is that the players want the rifles and so they order them every round?

That's kinda pretty self explanatory right?
My position was that if people wanted the rifles they could order them from cargo.
Steel said making them cargo only was "as good as removing them from the game".

But if people are really ordering them every round as sec, that doesn't seem to be the case, does it?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126007

Again, your position on that Lumi makes it just as easy to justify removing all the weapons from the armoury and making them only orderable from cargo.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #126014

Uwot?

Armoury needs weapons. Your weapons made the total amount of KILL in the armoury far higher then it needed to be.
If sec wants additionalKILL, then they can talk to cargo and order more guns.

It's as simple as that.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126024

Define additional kill?

With the rifles you had between 15 to 20 rounds to a magazine before you ran out of bullets forever, whereas with Lasers you have 12 rounds per rifle and then you can recharge it for a additional 12 rounds.

On a pure logistical examination the Laser Rifles trump the Auto Rifles due to the fact they can be recharged indefinitely, easy and quickly. Whereas the Rifles rely on physical ammo that would be expensive to order and maintain en mass.

If you were to examine the two guns based only, and only, on the ammo they have at the time and no future ammo they might have then the Rifles would win out with a additional 3 to 8 more rounds. Until you realise your out of ammo for the Auto Rifle.

Edit: Also the idea of 'taking all the spare mags from the alt guns' holds no weight as its just as easy to take all the spare Laser Rifles and Energy Guns in your backpack. The only real benfit of taking the two extra Mags from the guns is that they can fit in smaller spaces, but otherwise its not dissimilar to carrying the extra Lasers, which can all also be recharged.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126029

What about this.

What if I re add the Auto Rifles.....

But make them start with Rubber Bullets only, dealing around 5 brute damage and dealing 33 Stamina Damage, give or take.

There might be one lethal mag in the armoury locker but that's it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #126033

Because it's not a fucking binary choice.

You dont walk into the armoury and go "hm, ballistics or energy weapons?"
You take what's available.

1 steelrifle + 2 spare mags is the same damage as 3 eguns, while taking up less space. Additional space can be filled with energy weapons, or you can just generally spread guns between more people.
a spare mag is a tiny item. You can SEVEN of them in the space of one egun. You can print these things from R&D cheaply round start, or just ammo boxes from an autolathe.

If you remove these feature you're just snowflaking it like I said when you were first adding them.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126034

>ignoring absolutely everything I've been saying

Good job Lumi.

I said that I intended, even before my balance PR and the revert PR, to significantly increase the RnD costs of the mags as well as to change the ammo type away from 9mm so auto lathe ammo can't be used.

In fact I still intend to do this, I'm just waiting on my current armoury PR.

--

The only other alternative I can think of is to make the magazines built into the gun and that you have to manually load each individual bullet into the gun, but I think that's stupid and defeats the purpose of a reloadable ballistic gun.

Also as I said Lumi, while its great you can nab the two extra mag's from the other guns (assuming no one else is going to use the guns) your still overall going to run out of ammo fast and have no easy way to replace your ammo.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #126038

And as I said in my post, and repeatly when you suggested this when first adding the guns, adding all this special snowflake shit (manually loadin bullets? Can't make ammo boxes like almost every other bullet in the game?) to your gun that makes if different from every other gun imaginable is a clear sign you have a product you're simply trying to shoehorn into the game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126041

Well, most guns you can't make ammo boxes for.

The only ammo box you can produce from a autolathe is 9mm ammo and .45 speed loaders, at least last time I checked.

Most advance syndi guns use non-9mm ammo, barring the Sketchin and the C20r I think.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #126047

The only guns that you can't make ammo for are: deagle, SAW, C-90 and gyrojet.
Gyro jet and deagle are both badmin/wiz only, c-90 was added after the autolathe update, not sure about the SAW.

Edit: also the bolt action, which uses the same ammo as the saw, but again is badmin/wiz only.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126053

Considering that I don't see how its snowflake to not have easy to produce ammo from a autolathe.

Nuke Op weapons are already a uncommon sight, and around half of the bullet based weapons they use can't get ammo from a Auto Lathe, Deagles and Gyrojet's are also admin only and thus never see any need to get ammo from cargo.

The only on station weapons you can produce ammo for, at round start, are Shotguns and the Detective's Revolver.

So again, no really snowflake when the only weapons you can produce ammo for, that are not shotguns, are antagonist only or are a result of high level research.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126057

Also why would you give a shit if its slightly snow flake?

If its a meaningful balance change then so be it, why does it being unique or different automaticly make it a bad thing?

Its not like we're unaccustomed to unique features that can be construed as snowflake if you want to make it a negative point.

----

If the Auto Rifles were changed to the following.
  • Magazine reduced to 15 rounds per mag
  • Default ammo for the Rifle are Rubber Bullets, dealing little to no damage but around 33 stamina damage
  • Lethal ammo, if any, is kept in a locked and secured locker in the armoury.
  • Additional magazines, lethal or otherwise, cost around 40 points from cargo
  • Laser Rifle is buffed to hold 15 rounds per charge.
Then would the Rifles really be overpowered.

Throw in a retro looking gun sprite and bam, we've got it. Or just use the older Bay gun sprites I used.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #126065

Because again, you're trying to shoe horn in your pet gun, by making any change possible - you've lost perspective bro.

If you make it stam gun, then it's a functionally inferior disabler. (disabler having more shots and goes through windows, while doing 33/34 stam damage)
Locking lethal ammo in the armoury is pointless because if you can get into the armoury, then purely by the presence of a single gun, you can open the locker.
40 points is the same cost as like, 6 lasers. Pretty sure 3 lasers are 15 points actually (or maybe 2 lasers). That's just to the point of absurdity.
Buffing lasers is a completely seperate matter.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #126081

It does seem weird to jump through so many hoops to get the gun in, to the extent that it doesn't resemble your original idea at all, when the much easier alternative is just to not have a gun that self-evidently wasn't a good idea in the first place.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #126085

Standard ballistic rifles are unnecessary and you should really stop pushing for them to be in the armory so hard. They're fine in cargo.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #126086

I'm gonna make autorifles back slot laser weapons with rechargeable magazines and sneak a couple of them back into the armory. Im not sure theyd really qualify as autorifles anymore but I like the sprite and steelpoint seems willing to completley redo them anyway.

And then move the three normal laserguns out of the armory and put them ???

Maybe RD/CMO/CE so not every fucking gun is in single room.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126089

More laser weapons does not solve or address the issues I presented when I put up the Auto Rifles.

Also I must question the utility of a mag based Laser that takes up your back slot, not when you can just carry multiple Laser Rifles in your backpack.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #126092

Steelpoint wrote:More laser weapons does not solve or address the issues I presented when I put up the Auto Rifles.

Also I must question the utility of a mag based Laser that takes up your back slot, not when you can just carry multiple Laser Rifles in your backpack.
The issues you put up against laser rifles are non-issues, because e-swords/shields and other reflection are BALANCED with the idea that security uses laser weapons.

What is the point of buying a 16TC energy shield if sec ballistics just shoot through anyway?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126093

I've discussed at length how the most common ways for Ops to lose is simply due to them running out of ammo due to poor inventory management or from facing too many bodies being thrown at them.

I don't expect a average Security Officer to always win, or have at least a 50% chance of, against a Nuke Op. But I also don't want it to be a very one sided fight.

So for the sake of information I mocked up some test to show the state of individual sec vs individual ops.

Eh, spolied due to it being massive.
Spoiler:
------------------------
Pre-Note

So lets assume the following equipment, with minor liberties taken.

The Operative has, aside from their standard hardsuit, a C20r SMG and a Energy Shield.

The Officer has standard Sec gear, including a Stun Baton, Pepper Spray, Flash, One Flashbang and a Taser.

We'll also test out how the Laser Rifle and the Auto Rifles preform on this Op.

---------
Test 1: Op Attacks Officer

This first test will show how quickly a single Op can kill a single Officer.

Now to pre note the C20r deals 20 damage per hit with around 50 stamina damage per rounds.

To note, armour offers around 15% protection to bullets, so the bullets deal only 17 damage and not 20.
C20r Fires In 2rd Burst!
First two rounds deal 37 damage AND stun the Officer
Two more bursts knocks the Officer into critical!
So from this we can see it is very easy for a Op to kill a Officer, a single burst from their weaker SMG will stun a Officer and that is essentially death. The more powerful M90 will still crit the Officer in a three round burst.

In conclusion, it is very easy for a Op to kill a Officer, even if only a single bullet hits its mark it will inflict around 50 stamina damage on the target.

---------
Test 2: Officer Attacks Op

So in this scenario we'll test out all weapons the Officer would have on them.
  • Stun Baton: Only weapon that reliably works even against the shield! Only problem is getting into melee with someone who's bullets can slow down and stun you at range. Risky to use and ineffective against multiple Ops.
  • Flash: Op helms and helmet are immune to Flashs.
  • Pepper Spray: Same as above, immune to pepper spray.
  • Flash Bang: Flashbang will only stun if the Op is standing directly on top of the Flashbang as it detonates. You cannot throw the flashbang underneath the Op directly as hitting the Op throws the bang backwards, they have to walk onto it.
  • Taser: As noted the Eshield blocks all projectiles with a 100% certainty. After firing five rounds I was hit with my own shots twice, but this is RNG.
So overall the only way this Officer can fight the Op is if they use a Stun Baton or get really lucky with a Flashbang.

The odds of the officer winning are very low, and in my opinion are too low. Meaning there's not much of a effective fighting force on station.

Also the HoS and Captain don't fare any better, their weapons are all energy based.

--------

Test 3: Laser versus Ballistic Rifle

The final test.

The Laser already preforms poorly, as all its shots are deflected.

So how does the Rifle preform?

Rifle bullets can bypass the Energy Shield at a 50% rate. In addition the Rifle's bullets will only deal 10 damage per hit, meaning you require around ten hits to crit a Op.

During my test it took me 18 bullets to crit the Op, of which eight bullets were blocked. From the same math formula used during the armour percentage from RNG situation we can tell that on average it will requires around 20 bullets, or one mag, to crit a single Op.

--------
Final Thoughts

I understand not wanting combat between Security and Ops, for example, to not be heavily weighted towards Sec. But right now Auto Rifles are/were the only reliable way to attack a Op who has a energy shield, and even then its still sub par.

The Energy Shield effectively shuts down 100% of Security's ranged attack options, leaving you with a Stun Baton and maybe a clutch Flashbang if the Op walks onto it.

I want Security, and by extension the Captain, to be able to offer at least some form of resistance to Ops, except of a Token resistance of firing Lasers that come back to hit you. But as it stands unless Sec orders in Rifles then all they can do is shield the Captain and hope for the best.

Fortunatly right now Op win rates are at around 50% overall, though this is 100% on low pop and still around 30% to 50% on higher pop. However as discussed I still think, and this comes from other people, that Ops lose due to manpower overwhelming them or straight up incompetence.

If we're perfectly fine with Sec being ineffectual against Ops then sure, I just dislike how most of your inventory is worthless.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #126100

If eshields are so fucked why not nerf them instead of make another fucking weapon entirely.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126102

Because I think a 50/50 chance of being stunned by a Taser is going to piss more people off than a Ballistic Rifle that requires ten shots to crit and has a 50/50 chance of being deflected.

If I was to make eshields only block on a 50% rate, that would be far more of a nerf than Auto Rifles ever will be.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126133

Steelpoint for all you scream about people being objectively wrong and lying to try and get your code baby removed...

I dunno, that last big post makes all that seem a bit hypocritical.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126136

Am I wrong?

If I did lie, or misrepresent something, then please point it out.

Everything I said is factually correct, as far as I can tell.

You should not just say "oh how hypocritical" with a leading sentence without actually stating what is wrong or I'm lying about.

But tell me, do you think a uncommon Projectile weapon (that's reliant on hard to get ammo) that has a 50% chance to bypass shields is better than nerfing the shields so that ANY ranged attack has a 50% chance to bypass it?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #126139

If you honestly think that shields are a problem, nerfing shields should definitely be the solution rather than adding a new weapon.
Nerfing shields only affects the users of shields (you could even put different changes for different projectile types if you really wanted, though that would end up a pain in the ass later), adding a new weapon effects every roundtype regardless of whether having e-shields is even possible in them.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #126141

Also I can't really nerf shields due to it being hard coded or something beyond my capabilities.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #126156

Steelpoint wrote:I
I understand not wanting combat between Security and Ops, for example, to not be heavily weighted towards Sec. But right now Auto Rifles are/were the only reliable way to attack a Op who has a energy shield <- falsehood/inaccuracy 1. Also, there was nothing wrong with eshields for literally years. People just bumrushed, disarmed, stunprodded/stunbatoned (and now they can telebaton too) the ops until they dropped it., and even then its still sub par. Good thing too, sec had 4 of them for free roundstart and the ops paid over 10% of their supplies for this piece of kit!

The Energy Shield effectively shuts down 100% of Security's ranged attack options, leaving you with a Stun Baton and maybe a clutch Flashbang if the Op walks onto it. <- Falsehood/inaccuraccy 2 And also the detective's pistol, or a riot shotgun (Beanbag rounds are an instant knockdown for 1/2 a second, plenty of time to rush his shield! Slug rounds are, I believe, a 3-hit down, too), or possibly even stun revolvers (Are their shots energy or ballistic, I don't remember. Either way, the station can make them from scratch in the time between ";HALP NUKE OPS BORG IN CORE" and the nuke ops getting the disk, assuming they haven't stuck 2 mech tasers in the DA already.

I want Security, and by extension the Captain, to be able to offer at least some form of resistance to Ops, except of a Token resistance of firing Lasers that come back to hit you. But as it stands unless Sec orders in Rifles then all they can do is shield the Captain and hope for the best. Lie/reassertion of a previous falsehood.inaccuracy 3. This is only true of unless, like most op teams, the ops didn't bring a/multiples of a super-expensive piece of kit, or sec don't abandon their "Must be sniper" pride, act like assistants and bumrush the ops with batons, which is almost 100% effective if you get tactical and use the old corner stunbaton.

Fortunatly right now Op win rates are at around 50% overall, though this is 100% on low pop and still around 30% to 50% on higher pop. However as discussed I still think, and this comes from other people, that Ops lose due to manpower overwhelming them or straight up incompetence. Exactly like when you added them! I guess they can't be such saviours of security against the evil commie eshield menace if they don't make sec win more against ops. In any case, the point is that these only a justification if the ops buy multiple eshields (Or give a guy both, for 39+ TCs), which they rarely do now that the combo they were proposed to deal with in the first place (Eshield Nodrop FUCK YOU ops) is gone.

If we're perfectly fine with Sec being ineffectual against Ops Except for all the counters they have access to and the fact that ops don't always take the piece of kit you want to add a gun to every single round to add an extra counterthen sure, I just dislike how most of your inventory is worthless.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕